Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Reddit traders are helping to inflate a bond bubble: Ark's Cathie Wood

Comments

• This I find harder to believe because the bond market is a large institutional one. It seems like an easy target to blame Reddit. I also suspect "Reddit traders" aren't all really Reddit traders. How easy would it be for any institutional money manager to create a Reddit account and pump and dump any security? Some of the trades during the GameStop runup exceeded 10,000 shares. That's no mom and pop "Reddit trader."

• While some deep value and/or companies with too much debt may be impacted by some form of Reddit inspired trading; unless the bond market place becomes overwhelmed by bond slayers, I'm not concerned about potential impact; with the exception of pockets of disruption in some single issues that are junk or borderline corporate junk. I'm not saying these companies do not exist, they surely do. A Reddit traders big test would be to go after Ford or a similar company with a lot of debt, to discover their power OR not.

Estimated global bond value as of August, 2020 is $128.3 Trillion.

My 2 cents worth.
    Catch
  • Her argument is that by pushing up the stock prices of dicey companies it makes it cheaper for them to access capital, and that affects the bond market's pricing. It seems rather tangential and too much of a reach, given just a handful of companies involved and the immensity of the bond market.
  • Apparently not really @LewisBraham. Here's how it works.

Reddit Saved AMC Theaters