Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Help me pick the top four Large Cap Funds?

edited March 2013 in Fund Discussions
I am 49 years old and I have built up too many Large Cap funds. I currently have BBTEX (BBH Core), SEQUX (Sequola), WPOPX (Weitz Partners III), YAFFX (Yacktman), BMPEX (Beck, Mack, & Oliver Partners), FAIRX (Fairholme), SMVLX (Smead Value). I would like everyone's thoughts on which four funds that I should keep? Thanks!

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Three I'd keep - SEQUX (and while it may not be popular, I'd go with SEQUX over FAIRX), YAFFX, WPOPX. I dunno, do you really even need four?

I just think SEQUX is really a wonderful example of consistency and how valuable that is - nothing flashy, nothing over-the-top, just nice, solid returns year in/year out.
  • All of them are good funds.

IMO

BBTEX
    SEQUX
    YAFFX
    FAIRX/SMVLX

I don't know anything about BMPEX.
  • edited March 2013
    I would actually change your holdings all around:

Keep SEQUX, BBTEX
    Add AUXFX

Sell the others

I would add AUXFX for it's downside protection ( YAFFX does very well in this regard..but i'm concerned with asset bloat ) & the manager has ALL his own retirement money invested in this fund. Own it myself

• All funds are top ranked funds as you know. Other than Fairholme all funds are in the top 25% of their category for 3 and 5 year returns. Now these are not all large cap funds. Market cap (MIL) ranges from 61,000 (BBTEX) to 10,000(WPOPX).

Since there are 3 distinct Market caps with these funds I will pick the best in each range.

All funds are concentrated with the number of holdings ranging from 25(FAIRX) to 46(SEQUX).

Manager tenure is at least 3 years on all funds so that is good when comparing performance.

My recomendations are based on expense ratio, low standard of deviation,performance and market cap and some untangibles.

I like WPOPX over BMPEX because of it's flexibilty as an all cap and its ability to short stocks.
    I like SEQUX over FAIRX because of it's low 3 year deviation and excellent 3 year performance.
    I like BBTEX or YAFFX over SMVLX. Toss up. If I was to pick one it would be BBTEX due to it's lower e.r. and better 3 year performance compared to YAFFX.

Art
  • Dear Carefree: I like BBTEX and the biotech ETF BBH, Art above me has done a nice analysis of the funds, and my hope is that all these funds are not in the same retirement account.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • I don't know or follow all the funds you list, but my thought would be to keep BBTEX and SEQUX, and think hard about why you'd need four large-cap mostly-U.S. funds. BBTEX is very, very good, and it's closed to new investors, so I definitely would not sell it.
  • Of these I only own SEQUX and am not familar with the others but it seems to me a plausible way to look at this would be to look at the top 25 holdings of each fund (the fund page in morningstar should work and since all funds have few stocks in them an examination of the holdings should reveal which fund or funds should be eliminated because of overlap.
  • Suprisingly not much overlap.

Art
  • I would keep BBTEX, SEQUX and YAFFX. These have the lowest volatility and beta. Consistent performers.

If you have to pick two keep the first two they are closed.
  • Reply to @Investor:

While looking at VVPSX, I noticed that VVPLX might be of interest to some investors looking for a large cap fund.