Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How T. Rowe’s Larry Puglia Beat the S&P Over 28 Years

A Barron's conversation with the soon to be retired manager of TRBCX.
Link

Note: I'm able to access this article without a Barron's subscription.

Comments

• Very impressive results: “Through April 30, the $102 billion Blue Chip Growth had returned an annualized 12.2% during his tenure, versus the S&P 500’s 10.5%”

I wonder if you took ER/fees into account... how those net results would look vs the index.

In the story, he spoke highly of indexing. Interesting.
  • edited May 2021
    >> I wonder if you took ER/fees into account... how those net results would look vs the index.

Why on earth would you think the comparison did NOT take those into account? Seriously.

http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=TRBCX&region=usa&culture=en-US

For 15y it's 12.8% vs 10.3%

(LG is 11.2% fwiw)

Stuck with growth and avoided the worst of drops (sounds so easy)
  • Easy David... I read the Barron’s story and didn’t just assume that it was net of expenses when most are. I’ve read many stories that ignore expenses even though reported return should always be net of expenses. . So yes it looks like it’s net of fees and backs up my first 3 words “Very impressive results”. Cheers to you.
  • have never seen such a story