Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Just like last week ? !

Wednesday & I'm seeing RED , just like last week . Is it time to sell or buy on the dipper ? Last week the last two days were up after the first three days were down. I took a peek on Saturday & decided to stay the course. Now I'm back at the same point. Time to take some profit or buy a little more value ?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/big-money-investors-suggest-the-cycle-has-peaked-morning-brief-101209858.html

Derf

Comments

• @Derf...no one knows, right?

Some technical chart types (I know some on this board scoff at this) see a bad moon rising...ref JC Parets, allstarcharts blog...does not like the set up here at all unlike Cathie at ARKK...mentions liking NASDAQ short,Treasuries Long and Gold over Sheetcoin, defensive positioning...liking his heavier cash and champagne, maybe seeing topping process in commodities, maybe overdone sentiment....enjoy the drachmas you've made over the past year like a good fortunate son before Uncle Joe increases your taxes....

Hey, the dude has been spot on before...myself, FWIW, I have been increasing my Hussy and BIVIX, reducing and taking profits in large chunks in FEVAX First Eagle US Value and will increase PMEFX on drawdowns, increasing position in LAND stock...

I really did not like the action in HD after earnings call yesterday...you see WMT spike up...show folks are looking for better, lower prices, things are still very tough for a lot of good folks out there...

Good Luck and Good Health to all,

Baseball Fan
  • Base_Fan : I don't know if you shop WMT, but I've heard of disgruntled customers NOT liking the long lines at SELF checkout. It seem Wally upped the pay check , but also dropped the number of cashiers.
    Maybe they should install chairs ,6' apart, at the checkout ?
    Derf

• edited May 2021
    @Baseball_Fan -

I’d never scoff at the tech people. I don’t understand it very well, but do try to draw some meaningful inferences from watching the charts. Occasionally this leads to some kind of tactical move. I thought you might enjoy a remark by Bill Fleckenstein about 2 weeks ago. I won’t bother with a link, since it’s accessible only thru subscription:
    -

“On a related note, although I don't comment about it much, I've been watching a potential head-and-shoulders pattern form on Bitcoin and it looks like we may have a failed right shoulder coincidently with taking out the 50-day moving average. I don't want to make too much out of it, but to the extent that Bitcoin and weak bonds have hampered gold's progress, these developments may free it up a bit.”

- Daily Rap by Bill Fleckenstein, May 4, 2021
  • Just a lot of bobbing and weaving so far - not much (net) movement in the indices. Sitting tight and waiting to see if stocks will finally turn south for that much needed Correction. And waiting.....and waiting.

Crypto-mania taking it on the chin this morning. Interesting to watch.
  • edited May 2021
    Just the facts, ma'am.

And here they are.

With a comprehensive personal investment strategy an investor can avoid the inevitable, repetitive and difficult questions like those asked in the OP. Or, at least have the answers at the ready.

Alternatively...
    (1) The S&P is currently testing its 50dma. So there's that.
    (2) https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/466152a2-3851-3e1f-b62c-404994dc13f4/market-timer-mcclellan-turned.html
    (3) (Enter favorite article or reference here.)
  • edited May 2021
    stillers said:

With a comprehensive personal investment strategy an investor can avoid the inevitable, repetitive and difficult questions like those asked in the OP. Or, at least have the answers at the ready.

@Stillers: I agree with you that the total of 3 Discussion Topics you have posted for the community in the 16 months since you arrived are all vastly superior to any topic @Derf or I have offered up. That #3 - “Your tax dollars at work” sounds particularly compelling.

As to your investment prowess, I’ve been wanting to thank you for the tip on DODFX back during the first half of December.

“The conclusions that should be drawn are: DODFX is a mediocre FLV stock fund that has only kept pace with IC+ bond fund DODIX for the past ten years. DODFX is inherently a much higher risk fund than DODIX and the chance of it not meeting investors return expectations is significantly higher.” - Posted by @Stillers, December 2020.

Admittedly, it’s only been 5 months. But here’s what’s happened since your post:

- DODIX -5% (or more) / DODFX +14%.

- DODFX has outpaced DODIX by approximately 20% over the 5 months.

- DODFX is now in the top 20th percentile of its peer group based on recent performance (Lipper).

- Meanwhile, DODIX peaked December 17 at $14.98 and has been falling ever since. Looks like you caught the high. Sure glad I listened and sold my depressed DODFX at that time, while putting the money into high flying DODIX.
  • edited May 2021
    hank,

All of which has NOTHING to do with my post on/the subject of this thread, but hey, if that's what it takes to get your rocks off at your age, congrats.

FWIW,

(1) How can you "agree with me" that my posts "are superior to yours" when I NEVER claimed ANYTHING remotely near that? Make stuff up often do you? Hey, it's the internet so I guess that's OK with most posters. HINT: If you repeat it enough, it many times becomes (internet) "fact."

For ME though, please provide a direct link to EXACTLY WHERE I stated what you claim to "agree with me" about. I'll wait for that.

(2) REALLY stoopid to try to hold me to the fire (especially on another thread) over my comments on a truly dumb topic, contrasting a FLV stock and an intermediate bond fund, but hey, if you're trying to distract/divert attention from my factual statement on this thread, well played. That aside, what I said about those two funds is still true.

(3) Any comments, on you know, what I ACTUALLY posted on this thread or did you just need to poop out that D&C bug you had dangling up in there?

(4) In case you are unaware, your post is what is referred to as trolling, which makes you a troll. So congrats on that, too. I trust your family and friends are very proud of you.

stillers