Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Security

https://www.thestreet.com/phildavis/news/now-is-your-last-chance-to-opt-out-of-amazon-sidewalk.

I would suggest at the least you read this link if security of your info is of concerns . Or google up amazon sidewalk for more info.
Stay Safe, Derf

Comments

• edited June 2021
    Thanks @Derf -

Found this:

Users who wish to turn off Amazon Sidewalk can follow these steps:

Open your Alexa app on your iPhone or Android device
    Tap the More menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap Amazon Sidewalk
    Toggle the slider to "off"

My view - Amazon’s relationship with me has cratered over past year. Customer service (if you try to resolve an issue) is piss-poor. 2-day Prime delivery is a farce - particularly when they group 2 or more recent orders together to save on shipping. The reviews are good and many are authentic. But they treat their reviewers like dirt in placement of reviews. One anonymous “objection” from somebody anywhere may knock your review from among the top 10 to the bottom of a 4,000 + stack of mostly of inferior reviews.

None of that negates the innovations Bezos and company have brought about. I love the Kindle reading app and formatting / pricing of subscriptions. Alexa works with my ios devices and is much better than Siri. Google’s assistant is only partially compatible with ios devices at present. For the $120 cost of Prime their free movie library is probably worth it. And their music selection is vast if you pay for the premium plan.

My recent approach (1) Continue with Prime and those features I’d not want to lose (like Kindle subscriptions). (2) Deny them as much retail business as I can by shopping elsewhere (3) Never again submitt a review …

Advice: Check prices of common items (ie DVDs or vitamins) on Ebay. Often the price is lower and (free) shipping speeds of 3-4 days are not uncommon. I’ve had 2 or 3 unsatisfactory experiences out of hundreds of orders. Without ecxeption, EBay has backed me up on those.
  • edited June 2021
    Lately I’ve been plagued by Alexa interrupting my music to push products (targeted advertising). This article has a link that will supposedly stop target based ads.

I’ve already done this in the Alexa settings, but it didn’t help. Let’s see if the broader approach from article helps). ?hell …turn off Bloomberg to get away from noisy ads and you get them instead while reading and listening to music.