Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Thanks for the article--loved the insight. I will know it is not rigged when it doesn't pay to go to the Y in lower Manhattan over your lunch hour anymore than it pays to have your hedge fund located in Hamburg Ia. The key is know how it is rigged.
  • Hogan, glad you liked it. The key for me is when will all the artificial market supports be pulled away?

As an aside, I'm always skeptical about the decreasing Unemployment rate (and the somewhat unfair way its calculated), especially when I read articles like this:

http://www.thenewamerican.com/economy/sectors/item/14731-friday-s-surprisingly-strong-jobs-numbers-aren-t-real
  • Both the Repugnants and the Demublicans (sic) do the same thing, playing with the method by which the jobless statistic is arrived at. Oh, you've been out of work for more than 6 months? Screw you, you don't count anymore. It's inconvenient for us to continue to count you. You're making us look bad... Ya.
  • edited March 2013
    Reply to @JoeNoEskimo: When I saw this on Google News today, I looked at the article and got curious about the site. They call "John Birch Society" as their affiliate. Here is their staff. Robert Adelmann is the guy that wrote the article, also a JBS and NRA member.

So, it is kind of a propaganda article and title is chosen that way.

The private second has been actually adding net jobs. Government sector (both local, state and federal) has been steadily the counter trend (i.e. job losses). In the last 4 years Government sector has lost a lot of jobs.

In any case these weekly/monthly reports is less significant but the overall trend is been pretty much steady. It is a slow recovery but not unlike other deep "Financial" crisis.

If you really care how the Unemployment situation is, here is a good site to read about it. With numbers, charts and everything.

http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2013/03/employment-report-comments-and-more.html