Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Yahoo Quote History No Longer Includes Capital Gains

edited July 2021 in Other Investing
For many years the Yahoo historical data for funds included capital gains in the "dividend" historical data. Some time in the last three months, only "dividend-dividends" appear in the amounts. (Go look at a fund that pays sometimes-whopping CG but not income like RYPNX for proof.) So back to scraping prospectuses for the data.

For 30 years I've kept a database of weekly quote data for 50 or so funds, etfs, and indices, including distriubution data. So goes the last vestige of usefulness for Yahoo Finance for this, unless you like spam from crypto pump and dump schemes. I switched to Tiingo for my weekly quote update long ago when Yahoo dumped their finance API, and I recommend it. It's free for modest use; they seem to make money by charging for more advanced and real time data.

Comments

• beebee
    edited July 2021
    @wsanders

Maybe I am a Dingo, but do you have a link to Tiingo? What does the free version offer?
  • I still use Yahoo to view quarterly fund returns, so the RYPNX 1Q 2020 loss of 37.14% is a little too high octane for me. I looked up JABAX on Tiingo and found some good blog and news information: I just need to grasp the Lingo on Tiingo and stop being a confused Dingo !
  • edited July 2021
    wsanders said:

For many years the Yahoo historical data for funds included capital gains in the "dividend" historical data. Some time in the last three months, only "dividend-dividends" appear in the amounts. (Go look at a fund that pays sometimes-whopping CG but not income like RYPNX for proof.) So back to scraping prospectuses for the data.

For every OEF I've checked for the past six months, Yahoo stopped counting cap gains during year-end 2020 and has not corrected the problem. Of course that's made a hash of any total return calculations that include that time, given how many funds handed out large capital gains distributions then.

And, mirabile dictu (as old Latin students tend to shout at times), Morningstar has become the better source of distribution info. Plus, for mutual funds, M* is much more timely now than Yahoo, which had been taking a good month at times to post OEF dividends. Looks like they may be getting a little closer to timely lately, though.
  • Tiingo.com. Currently the web pages seems to be pretty rudimentary ("beta"). My use of their free data is via an API - using a short python program, you can get various data (like daily closing NAV) from the API.