Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Our Funds Boat, week/YTD, 6-5-11, Crabs & Pickles.....

edited June 2011 in Fund Discussions
Howdy,

Again, a thank you to all who post the links and also start and participate in the many fine commentaries woven into the message threads.
For those who don't know; I ramble away about this and that, with a posting of our portfolio and returns.

NOTE: For those who visit MFO, this portfolio is designed for retirement, capital preservation and to stay ahead of inflation creep; if and when it returns. This is not a buy and hold portfolio, and is subject to change on any given day; based upon perceptions of market directions. All assets in this portfolio are in tax-sheltered accounts; and any fund distributions are reinvested in the fund. Gains or losses are computed from actual account values.

While looking around.....Well, we all know about the Bulls & the Bears. What about the Crabs and Pickles? The Crabs, being as in; the Hermit Crab. One may envision the Hermit crab doing its daily business at its beach side home; going "sideways" in its protective shell. Perhaps the broad markets going forward for awhile, eh? What about the "pickle"? That would be the various political and political related machines feasting at various tables of power and influence in the old D.C. town. The pickle being debt ceilings and budget cuts. OMG in the biggest way....as how could many consider spending less money OR forbid reducing hiring at many federal levels. Take about a big bummer/bad trip day/week/year. GEEZ, if this and related spending goes away; WHO or WHAT is gonna support the economy? Me thinks this would be Pimco's "new normal" in full tilt mode. Well, I sure don't have the answers, but the questions like you; and attempting to position portfolio holdings to move along with the bump and grind of the broad markets. One big pickle of a problem(s), in a multi-faceted situation.
Hey, this is it for today. Still recovering from a wonderful and long journey to and through the maze of sights and sounds at the annual, local 4 day hometown days/carnival. Lots of fun and a great unwind. The life juices were almost gone for awhile, as Mr. Weather gave us 88 degrees and high humidity; and I gave myself one too many "elephant ears". The recovery rate is much slower than when I was 15 years old....:):):)

Such are the numerous battles with investments attempting to capture a decent return and minimize the risk.

We live and invest in interesting times, eh?

Hey, I probably forgot something; and hopefully the words make some sense.

Comments and questions always welcomed.

Good fortune to you, yours and the investments.

Take care,
Catch

SELLs THIS PAST WEEK:
NONE
BUYs THIS PAST WEEK:
NONE

Portfolio Thoughts:

Our holdings had a +.05% move this past week. A few months ago a poster noted that the old Funds Boat portfolio was not in line with market conditions. The poster was asked to please express what the market condition was, at the time. There was no reply. This house will never presume such a mix as we have is of value to anyone else; except for the ability to view and do you own head scratching and continued learning. I would wish for 12 other portfolios to be posted at least once a month to aid with our learning; but at the least you, the reader, are able to monitor a real portfolio as it wanders its way through the currents.
Obviously, the high yield/income, as well as equity funds had a face slap last week. We'll stay our course for now; but watching in a most serious manner. A side note should indicate that the old M* machine places our true HY/HI income bond holdings at about 43% of our total bond mix; so that you may have a more clear indication of the bond mix versus the percentages of fund name holdings below.
SO, the old Funds Boat being a pontoon type is big enough for an enclosed shelter on the main deck, is still able to travel in only 18" of water, is stable by virtue of its length and wide stance on two, large pontoons traveling upon the Great Lakes of investments. Hopefully, this type of investment craft will continue to serve us well as we wander the investment ports looking for the best temporary ports of call; as few of the ports could ever be considered permanent, including the large percentage of cash we are holding.
And yes, we are satisfied with our risk adjusted returns YTD. If the portfolio can pull a +10 to12% for the year; you will not hear any whining from this house.

The old Funds Boat may make 5% or 25% this year. I expect some rough waters, changing winds and opposing currents; causing the most serious attention being given to a firm hand upon the rudder control.

Good investment fortune to all in the coming months.

How our boat's cargo is doing:

Week: = +.05%
YTD = +4.86%

And the cargo is:

CASH = 15%
Mixed bond funds = 78.4%
Equity funds = 6.6%

-Investment grade bond funds 12.2%
-Diversified bond funds 18.5%
-HY/HI bond funds 28.8%
-Total bond funds 14.6%
-Foreign EM/debt bond funds 4.3%
-U.S./Int'l equity/speciality funds 6.6%

This is our current list: (NOTE: I have added a speciality grouping below for a few of fund types)

---High Yield/High Income Bond funds

FAGIX Fid Capital & Income
SPHIX Fid High Income
FHIIX Fed High Income
DIHYX TransAmerica HY
DHOAX Delaware HY (front load waived)

---Total Bond funds

FTBFX Fid Total
PTTRX Pimco Total

---Investment Grade Bonds

DGCIX Delaware Corp. Bd
FBNDX Fid Invest Grade
OPBYX Oppenheimer Core Bond

---Global/Diversified Bonds

FSICX Fid Strategic Income
FNMIX Fid New Markets
DPFFX Delaware Diversified
TEGBX Templeton Global (load waived)
LSBDX Loomis Sayles

---Speciality Funds (sectors or mixed allocation)

FCVSX Fidelity Convertible Securities (bond/equity mix)
FRIFX Fidelity Real Estate Income (bond/equity mix)
FSAVX Fidelity Select Auto
FFGCX Fidelity Global Commodity
FDLSX Fidelity Select Leisure
FSAGX Fidelity Select Precious Metals

---Equity-Domestic/Foreign

CAMAX Cambiar Aggressive Value
FDVLX Fidelity Value
FSLVX Fidelity Lg. Cap Value
FLPSX Fidelity Low Price Stock

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Do you have FRIRX or FRIFX? If you do have FRIRX, how did you get that share class? Do you work with a Fidelity advisor?
  • edited June 2011
    Howdy Investor,

Good catch.........should be the FRIFX. I'll blame the typo on the "elephant ears" and too much sugar.
    No advisor. We pilot our own boat.

Thank you,
    Catch