Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Investment Horror Stories

In the spirit of Halloween, M* offers several investment horror stories.
Let's be careful out there!

Link

Comments

• edited October 2021
    It seems whenever I travel, the markets tank. In 2000 I was waiting for a connecting flight out of Atlanta to Tampa as the “Dot-Com” tech bubble deflated. I still remember guys seated around me staring blankly at the TV display and grimacing. One remarked he’d lost half his portfolio in recent days. In the fall of 2007 I was driving across the “Mighty Mac” into the UP when over Sirius radio I heard the onset of the carnage. It was to be just the opening salvo of the ‘07-‘09 market meltdown.. Was in the Florida Keys late in 2018 when the averages dropped precipitously. And in the spring of 2020 I was in route to FNT airport in southern Michigan to catch a flight to Charlotte when things began to unravel. Driving back home from the airport a week later was an incredible day as markets were plunging and I pulled off the road a number of times to make buys using an iphone.

Who needs to read horror stories? I’ve lived through a few - often while on the road.
  • edited October 2021
    Just curious, do you any plans to travel in the near future? ;)
  • edited October 2021

Just curious, do you any plans to travel in the near future? ;)

Leaving Wednesday for a week in NC / SC. Actually, the Fed will be releasing some kind of statement Wednesday as well.

Maybe go short? :)
  • edited October 2021
    Thanks for the info!
    Taking this all into consideration, purchasing ProShares UltraPro Short on Wednesday may be warranted.
    This ETF offers 3x daily short leverage to the NASDAQ-100 Index.;)