Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Thanks Ted for this article. Malkiel's Wealthfront looks very interesting: no management fees for accounts under $10K and a low 0.25% management fee for accounts over this level, which includes transaction fees.

Kevin
  • Reply to @kevindow: For others here is the website.
    Regards,
    Ted
    https://www.wealthfront.com/
  • Read Teds' post. Looked at Wealthfront through google. Concur with kevindow. Does anyone hold an interest in Wealthfront?
  • edited March 2013
    Reply to @Ted:

Ted, when you click on "Wealthfront" in my post, which is a hyperlink, don't you go to their web site ?

Kevin
  • I just took a quick look at the site, and couldn't find any sort of prospectus (other than some related info in the FAQs) or any indication of what their neutral and/or current asset allocations are. Anyone know if that info is available anywhere?
  • Hi Andy,

On the main page of their web site, you can get an idea what a model portfolio would look like by selecting the account type and your age. It's a new company so they don't have any actual performance data for the model portfolios. Also, they are a software-based financial advisor, so no prospectus is needed.

I may send them the minimum just to see the actual recommended portfolio and see how it performs going forward. Then if I'm pleased with the performance, I will send them over $10K as they deserve to be paid for their services, and 0.25% is not much if it includes transaction fees.

Kevin
  • Reply to @kevindow: It works for me.
  • Thanks, Kevin. If you go through their brief risk-tolerance assessment, they show you the exact portfolio they'd set up for you if you were to invest with them. Mine was the basic Vanguard stock ETFs, a small shot of TIPS, DJP for commodities, and the muni ETF MUB (I picked a taxable account for the trial run).