Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

When stocks are down, ‘don’t watch the market closely

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/17/what-warren-buffett-says-to-do-when-markets-are-down.html

Warren Buffett, Jack Bogle and financial planners agree: When stocks are down, ‘don’t watch the market closely’

**Although the financial markets attempted a bounce back on Tuesday, they are largely in the midst of an extended sell-off that has punished some of the biggest names in stocks.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average’s seven-week slump is its longest since 2001, while the S&P 500′s six-week losing streak is its longest since June 2011, CNBC reports.

While many investors saving for retirement may be wondering what to do in such a tumultuous market, Warren Buffett has said the answer is simple: Try not to worry too much about it.

“I would tell [investors], don’t watch the market closely,” Buffett told CNBC in 2016 during a period of wild market fluctuations.

The Oracle of Omaha added that investors who buy “good companies” over time will see results 10, 20 and 30 years down the road. “If they’re trying to buy and sell stocks, they’re not going to have very good results,” he said. “The money is made in investing by owning good companies for long periods of time. That’s what people should do with stocks.”
These gurus are probably right, buy cheap companies now and hold 10 -20 yrs**

They maybe exactly right long term
Problem folks maybe dead in 20 30 years or companies may not be around 30 yrs,
Maybe better buy sectors etfs instead

Comments

• Good advice for most to avoid panic, stress, or sleepless nights.

Me? I prefer knowing what's going on ... and in the case of market swoons, want to be aware of anything worth buying at depressed prices that I can hold for the long term, which has worked out very well for me over the years.