Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

JAPAN Funds- considering to add to my portfolio

edited March 2013 in Fund Discussions
JAPAN Funds- considering to add to my portfolio.

There is such a difference in the returns of the funds below. Fidelity Japan Small cap FJSCX seems to be a winner.
I usually do not invest in single country funds but it seems that Japans central bank is forcing the Yen down and the economy is picking. When things go well in Japan sometimes FJSCX has a long run upwards. I would appreciate comments on investing in Japan using the funds below or any better opportunities.
prinx

Symbol Fund Name 1 Wk 13 Wk YTD 1 Yr 3 Yr (Annualized) 5 Yr (Annualized)
JSC SPDR Russ/Nom SC Japan 0.48% 12.56% 12.45% 9.78% 7.36% 4.52% --
SCJ iShares :MSCI Japan SC 0.73% 13.54% 13.46% 11.01% 7.45% 3.65% --
FJPNX Fidelity Japan 0.55% 11.34% 10.89% 10.75% 2.96% -0.89% 6.03%
FJSCX Fidelity Japan Sm Co 1.84% 22.48% 21.94% 28.55% 10.40% 4.22% 8.10%
MJFOX Matthews Asia:Japan; 1.03% 12.15% 12.06% 15.67% 9.30% 2.74% 7.79%

Comments

• For your consideration:

http://www.indexuniverse.com/sections/blog/16322-a-cautionary-tale-about-dxj-and-japan.html

I'm not saying if you should or shouldn't. Only you can make that call. Feeling lucky?
  • You may also consider HJPNX and HJPSX

For hedged yen ETF, consider DXJ

Just as Mark, I am not saying that you should or should not invest there...
  • edited March 2013
    As the article Mark linked says, that trade has already run a very long way with no policy moves behind it, mainly just talk & speculation. At this point, if I were tempted to make a bet on its continuing, it'd be less of an all-in bet ... for example, a more diversified fund with a large Japan stake, like say MPACX.

Of course if it were a very small position with $ I'd earmarked for spec/tactical trades, then I'd go for it with an ETF like DXJ.
  • Dear Ted,
    I get the idea and I could do with out a sun burn.
    Many thanks to you and all who commented.

prinx
  • Howdy,

I think you can make a Japan play without really sticking your neck out by buying a pan-asian fund that INCLUDES japan. Most do not. Check Matthews Asian Growth MPACX, or MAPIX for more conservative or MATFX for more aggressive. They're all pan -asian and include Japan. This way you don't have your privates quite so exposed to traffic.

peace,

rono
  • beebee
    edited March 2013
    Interview on China and Japan...(a little more China coverage) with Matthews Asia Fund Mark Headley:
    Wealthrack Interview
  • edited March 2013
    I do not know if the Japan trade is done or just starting. MAPIX is a good and conservative way to get some exposure.
  • OAKIX has a fair amount of exposure (24%) to Japan compared to ARTIX, DODFX, FMIJX (10-12%)
  • edited March 2013
    Japan's economic results after recent actions:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-28/abenomics-farce-continues

"LORD Jacob Rothschild, a scion of banking’s most famous family, yesterday said his company had doubled its investment in Japanese stocks after the country changed its monetary policy, helping the value of its fund to surge.

Rothschild, a sixth generation descendant of Mayer Amschel Rothschild, revealed his fund outfit RIT Capital Partners had upped its investment in the Nikkei – by some £90m – due to what he dubbed the country’s “Keynesian experiment”.

He said: “We felt that the impact of reflationary policies against an undervalued stock market provided us with an exceptional investment opportunity,”

http://www.cityam.com/article/lord-rothschild-fund-reaps-big-windfall-japanese-stock-bet
  • I just leave it to my favorite fund First Eagle Global SGENX who invested in Japan when others stayed away. It holds about 20%. I think its still influenced by Eveilliard who reitired but a major holder in First Eagle.