Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Question for David

David, you've noted on this site the amount of research T. Rowe Price does on asset allocation (for example, with regard to its retirement-date funds, etc.). Is the amount and quality of their work something you can attest to based on, say, their marketing literature, or based on interviews with others or first-hand knowledge of the firm?

Thanks.

DS

Comments

• So, "all of the above"?

Thanks.

Cheers.

DS
  • (That was actually my attempt on humor on a sort of tough morning.)

One evidence of asset allocation work comes from Morningstar's assessment of the glidepaths in the various firms' target-date funds. Morningstar rates Price as one of the best asset-allocators (along with, e.g,. PIMCO and GMO) and rate their target-date funds as "gold" across the board. See http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=588201. That follows earlier analyses praising Price for getting ahead of the pack on a variety of allocation decisions (e.g., including real assets as inflation-hedging).

A second source is what you probably think of as "marketing literature" but I think of as "investor education materials." Price does a better job than the vast majority of their peers in treating investors as if they had brains; their T. Rowe Price Report series has long been short on glitz and long on evidence. Their 50-year analyses on the effects of asset allocations on risk/return patterns strike me as solid and not so complex as to be indiscernible.

And, finally, I do chat with the Price folks from time to time. Back when they launched Mid Cap Value, I got a hundred pages of simulations and tests. Subsequent to that, I've chatted with several of their fund managers and keep getting the same sense: that design and launch decisions are research-driven (and that it's investing research, not marketing research).

For what it's worth,

David (who's been working on this short note for 45 minutes - folks keep popping in)
  • David, very helpful. Your third paragraph is very insightful. You're awesome. Thanks.

DS