Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Last Eight Years Were the Hottest on Record

edited January 2023 in Other Investing
Because it will gradually matter more and more to the investment landscape no matter what the climate science deniers think:
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/01/10/world/eight-warmest-years-climate-copernicus-intl/index.html

https://nytimes.com/interactive/2023/climate/earth-hottest-years.html
It has for instance huge implications for the insurance industry, for the food industry, real estate, the military, textiles, globalization, shipping, tech waste and power consumption, and of course fossil fuels. There will be economic winners and losers here, and of course a number of species will go extinct. Some already have. Given the conversations we’ve been having about asset classes, a forward looking analyst of them will have to take the shifting climate into account, and how it might impact the expected performance of each asset class over the next fifty years instead of just taking how they did in the last fifty as gospel.

Comments

• Very important points. I have heard of folks already being a bit leery of Florida and especially Miami Muni bonds, for example, and utilities in states like California. PGE is a good example.

It is hard to predict the impact of global warming on specific locals, but Europe seems to be rapidly warming. Will Canada avoid it longer than most?

Unfortunately, I think it is easier to find analyses of the impact on possible economic conditions on various asset classes than it is to figure out which utilities or energy companies will come out ahead. I assume this has to change soon.