Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mebane Faber Website Gone Premium - Not...Free Again

edited April 2013 in Off-Topic
I've come to appreciate his perspectives on World Beta. Maybe it was inevitable, but he will now be charging for access to selected portions of his site, as well as the adjunct Idea Farm. I had felt his website served more as a labor of love and a way of intelligently attracting investors to Cambria Investments. Still, a lot of good free content remains. Trust it will not go the way of awful Motley Fool.

UPDATE...

From his post on April 11th:
It has only taken a few weeks but I am very happy to announce that enough people have subscribed to The Idea Farm that I am ready to return the blog to free. More people subscribed, and at a faster rate, than I expected. In retrospect I should have just turned on the Idea Farm first before the blog. But this has all been new to me and a bit of an experiment, as well as a learning experience. (So too will be self publishing a book in two weeks.) Instead of the six month period I was expecting it to take to reach a conclusion, it was only two weeks.

I’m going to refund all charges to the blog, which is a bit painful, but a big huge thanks to the overwhelming support for the people that subscribed. In general I prefer to have the content free, and never got comfortable placing the content behind a paywall.
It's good news. There's hope.

Comments

• edited March 2013
    He had nice blog. However his performance was mediocre. In particular the ETF was not very successful.

If I were to pay, I would pay Bespoke or CXO Advisory instead.
  • WHA? That's surprising. I liked the book and blog, but GTAA has been rather disappointing.
  • Just updated original post.