Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Intl vs Domestic, Stocks vs Bonds: Barbara Reinhard, Voya Mgmt Head of Allocations

I saw this interview last week on Bloomberg Surveillance, and thought that Ms. Reinhard discussed several key points as to the balance of 2023 and 2024. She appears to have been a guest on this network several times since.

Her appearance starts at the 55:00 mark.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2023-02-10/-bloomberg-surveillance-simulcast-02-10-2023

Comments

• edited February 2023
    Thanks........this was a very good segment. Schedule allowing, I do my best to watch this program every day. I'd like to have lunch with Mr. Keene about 20 times. I suspect he has a photographic memory. The stories he can tell.....and what he recalls, amazing.
    The 3 together offer a decent show traveling in many directions of the market and is also light hearted.
  • one of the interesting points she mentioned re international funds...they make their gains rather quickly, and then always proceed to give them back. I had never read nor considered that before. I wonder is that is a phenomena of recent origin?
  • edited February 2023
    @PRESSmUP Might you have a few mutual funds (tickers) that are developed international that could be charted against a similar U.S. fund(s)? We have remained U.S. focused over the years, so I don't really have any international names that come to mind.
    I suppose that broad based index funds many offer a better view, as they are not being managed; and may present a cleaner view.
    Suggestions.....? A chart of four isn't too busy for viewing.
    ADD: An inception date before 2008 would likely be best.
  • edited February 2023
    International stocks and U.S. stocks generally move in multi-year cycles.
    U.S. stocks have significantly outperformed foreign stocks for an extended period through 2021.

Relative performance of S&P 500 vs. international developed markets based on five-year rolling returns*

Above zero, the U.S. market outperformed;
    below zero, international markets outperformed

*Relative performance represents the S&P 500 Index’s returns minus
    international developed markets’ returns (MSCI World ex-U.S.).

Source - RBC Wealth Management, Bloomberg; monthly data from 1/31/75 – 12/31/21
  • Victoria Fernandez of Crossmark Global was on Surveillance within the last two weeks. I think she said if you aren't confused by the mixed messages of the market, you aren't paying attention. I liked that. I included their 2023 outlook PDF. Nothing earth-shattering, but a decent framework for the year, I reckon.
    https://www.crossmarkglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/Crossmark-10-Predictions-for-2023-White-Paper_FINAL.pdf
  • @MikeM2...pretty solid and clear points to consider for 2023, including another vote for retesting the October lows. I was surprised to see Bob Doll moved over to Crossmark, as he "retired" from Nuveen not too long ago.
  • Am listening to Bob Doll on Surveillance Podcast right now. Really thoughtful, cautious imho.
  • And yes; surprised to see Bob Doll with a Deep South Texas firm. I remembered he was at Nuveen and Black Rock before that. I remember him talking to CNBC folks, from Princeton, for years.