Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

AVGE for what interest it may hold for others

edited February 2023 in Fund Discussions
Lynn Bolin mentioned AVGE as a fund of interest in his last article in the MFO commentary which piqued my curiosity. The attached link is from Seeking Alpha.

Summary

° The Avantis All Equity Markets ETF started last September and invests by holding 10 other Avantis ETFs.

° Besides sharing the allocation to each ETF held, a strategy description is provided for each of the ETFs held by AVGE.

° Comparing AVGE to the iShares MSCI ACWI ETF, another Global Equity ETF, this new ETF is off to a good start. A comparison between those ETFs is provided.

° Approaching six months in existence, the AVGE is outperforming both the ACWI ETF and the Vanguard Total World Stock ETF. There are allocation differences that the investor has to like.

AVGE: Avantis Enters Global Equity Field Against ACWI

Comments

• Thanks @Mark. I recently made a switch from AKREX to this ETF. Certainly not an apples to apples category switch, but I like the components and process of AVGE. If I remember correctly, when the Aker fund started out, in it's hay day, it was also multi-cap. I think after years of success it got to big to be that and settled in as a large cap. Possibly the retirement of Chuck Aker also has something to do with 3 years of under performance. But in any case, I made the switch to AVGE.
  • edited February 2023
    You're welcome @MikeM. I mentioned in the Buy/Sell/Why thread that I had taken a lite position as well. Besides the reasons mentioned there it's also a way for me to follow the stock/equity. Not much gets my attention more than watching a holding flounder.
  • @Mark and @MikeM: I also abandoned the Akre Focus fund after several years and holding it profitably in three different family accounts. However, the fund seems to have lost its individuality, perhaps as a result of its size, its concentration and its buy-and-hold-forever strategy. There seems to be no more room for investing in the mid-caps that used to generate good returns. Avantis does have some promising funds.