Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

funds, etfs, stocks mix of portfolio

edited March 2013 in Fund Discussions
Long time reader and occasional poster; was curious as to how readers are utilizing this mix. Right now on the equity side of my portfolio, I have 19 stocks, 10 etfs and 14 funds. I likely have more funds that I need, but some are for my roth, which are much longer term (15-20 years out, and therefore are more aggressive) some for my regular ira which I start tapping in 8 years and some are taxable. The etfs I have are AMLP, DTN, DVY, EEM, IYR, IYW, PKW, PSCH, RHS, XLP. They do not replace sectors I do not own, but diversify the sectors I own in individual stocks. Recently, had a hard time deciding between two of the staples sector ETFs I had been watching, but because one was equally weighted and one was market weighted and had little stocks in common, bought them both. Health care and biotech nicely covered in my stocks and funds, no need for etfs there.

Happy Easter and Passover to everyone

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Probably 60-65% stocks (broken into two parts, the larger portion yields about 4.3ish%), 35-40% funds. A couple of CEFs, no ETFs.
  • 2013 1st Q wrap:Four + years into retirement. Retirement accounts breakdown: 30% cash,lucky to get 1.47% in G'ment TSP. 20% international equity led by MSMLX,MAPIX,WAEMX(closed),MAPTX. 19% small growth led by WSCVX (closed) SATMX. 15% core led by BRUFX, FPACX,MFLDX. 8% bond led by RPHYX, DLENX. 5.5% precious metals TGLDX ,DWGOX. And 2% real estate HLPPX. Pretty close to a classic 60/40 portfolio considering the cash yield with no risk from the Gov't TSP G fund.Slowly drawing the cash portion into equities,but in retirement it's no time to go all in!
  • Too many open-end MFs (12), not enough ETFs (1), not enough stocks (4). Lately, sensitive to ER. Had swelled recently to 1.13. Currently 1.01. Want to get under 0.6...a dream I have. Believe too many folks, me especially, hand over too much capital to help build the empires of fund houses. Overall construction, round numbers: 40% foundation (diverse bonds/cash), 30% dynamic allocation, 20% fixed equities, 10% speculative (FAAFX). Overall DSDEV: 6.5%.