Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Double Social Security payments

I’m new to Social Security, receiving my first payment in February. I received one check for the expected amount, but also another for about 10% of the regular amount. This month, I received two checks again — one for the expected amount and another for about 80% of the amount. Is this normal or has SS messed something up? I would call them on the phone to check but I hear that the holding times are horrendous. I’m very confused.

Comments

• Never mind. I just realized that one of the extra Treasury payments for this month is our tax refund. However, I still don’t understand the extra payment in February.
  • Just a guess, one from Federal tax refund , one from State tax refund ?
  • If you have a SSA account, you should be able to get detail about any payments they have made to you. If you don't, you may need to establish a login.gov account or a ID.me account.