Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

gold fund recommendation?

edited March 2013 in Fund Discussions
A couple years ago I started buying IAU (iShares COMEX Gold Trust), thinking it would fill the role of a gold mutual fund. But today my tax account told me when I eventually sell it (hopefully for a profit), it will be taxed as a "collectible", currently at the 28% level. That's not exactly what I wanted. So I'm looking for recommendations for something that does operate as a mutual fund, invests in gold, and has a NAV that will generally reflect the price of gold, and when I sell it, the gain will be treated as a long-term capital gain. Thx.

Comments

• we've been holding ? gld - spider gold etf for a while and thinking of adding.
    we also have pspfx - us global resources, diversed commodities fund, you cannot go wrong w/ F.Holmes
  • I'd take a look at CEF, the Central Fund of Canada, if you don't mind holding a stake of silver as well in roughly a 55/45 proportion.
  • Dear randynevin; Take Mark's suggestion and buy Central fund of Canada (CEF), you get the best of two worlds, gold and silver, and the fund is taxed at 15% rate.
    regards,
    Ted
  • edited March 2013
    I'll also recommend CEF.
  • Randynevin, we have used CEF for years in client accounts. Yes, it is a mix of gold (55%) and silver (45%) bullion, so you do not get just gold exposure. But it is taxed like an ordinary mutual fund, with no K1 tax filing expenses/annoyances. We use it as a 5% core position in many client accounts. It has served as an ok blend of the two metals, which seem to keep each other in check for the most part.