Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Are fund prices currently messed up on various trackers?

edited April 2023 in Other Investing
This started last evening when 1 of my 2 tracking apps sent out a message from the administrator that they were unable to obtain day-end prices from Yahoo, but that we could go into settings and change our price source to Google. I did that with a couple holdings but didn’t resolve issue. Both of my main tracking apps and also some free online services are still showing varying prices and performance for identical funds this morning.

Anybody else encounter issues with yesterday’s quotes? PRPFX is the one I’ve worked on. One tracker has it $47.98, a 5 cent gain. The other says $48.09, a 16 cent gain. MSN Money (Bing) shows currently $47.93, with no reference to the last daily move. If just that 1 fund, I wouldn’t mind. But several others are affected.

Added later - CNBC is at 47.93 (PRPFX) which agrees with MSN Money, but neither tracking app. M* also says 47.93 and down 0.33%. And Google now has $47.93. Looks like both of my tracking apps are screwed up.

Comments

• Vanguard's portfolio tracker correctly imports the current PRPFX price. One may need a VG account to use. It is under "My Accounts" / Holdings. At the bottom of the summary of VG accounts is a link to add outside accounts, which can be added manually (i.e. no screen scraping, a pure tracker tool).

M*'s portfolio tracker correctly imports the PRPFX price and daily change (both dollars and percentage) from M*'s database. Scuttlebutt is that this tracker will be available at least through the end of this year.
  • edited April 2023
    Thanks @msf. The tracker that sent the message out last night about problems is the one I’ve often recommended here. First time since I picked it up a year ago that it’s ever skipped a beat. Hopefully, they’ll resolve the issue promptly. Feels like flying blind.:)

Nice to hear some of the online trackers are still available.
  • In certain days, I found some oversea funds tend to skip or delay reporting their NAVs by the evening. Thought the NAV is automatically calculated and post to the public quickly, but this does not seem to be case under certain circumstances.
  • edited April 2023
    Thanks @Sven. The favored app might be characterized as “pie chart heaven” in its ability to slice & dice the day’s portfolio movement. I’d liken it to preferring to sit next to a window flying. There’s nothing a passenger can really do to influence the flight’s progress. Still, it somehow feels safer and more secure to be watching.
  • @hank, you are far more sophisticated that I am. I just watch the sector movement that generally tells the story on the entire market. There are talks of introducing artificial intelligence for market analysis, and I will be very careful with that.

I understand flying is boring. I have many articles downloaded on my iPad for that reason.