Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Should you invest in the assets or the asset manager

edited November 2023 in Other Investing
Summary

° Asset management is a cash-minting machine of an industry with infinite growth capabilities. But, there's a catch.
° BlackRock and Vanguard have destroyed the traditional mutual fund industry, and now there is only one place left with fat fees.
° Alternative asset management is a $20 trillion industry, growing at 35% and charging about 5X higher fees than BlackRock or Vanguard.
° Management teams consistently earn $60 to $600 million per year and are worth it, generating Buffett-like 20% returns for investors over the last decade.
° Blackstone Inc. is the king of alternative assets with $1 trillion in assets, and Apollo Global Management, Inc. is #3 and the king of private credit. One of these is currently a good buy and capable of 4X the short-term returns of the other.

A SeekingAlpha article HERE

Comments

• Really divided on this. I am more confident these managers can tell the story to fund investors and stock investors than generate 20% returns going forward. Rates are high, leverage is difficult, and though they will find occasional elephants, everyone knows the tricks. Yet, they have done a fantastic job convincing pension funds on one side and buying insurance companies (and their retail deposits) on the other side to get equity capital and debt capital respectively. But I still have doubt on 20% returns. Even Buffett cannot do it.
  • Devo said:

and buying insurance companies (and their retail deposits) on the other side to get equity capital and debt capital respectively. But I still have doubt on 20% returns. Even Buffett cannot do it.

That's unsettling.