Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

More Old-Timers Still Working

The number of Americans 65 and older who were employed this year is almost double that of 1987

https://themessenger.com/business/older-american-employees-work-salaries-pay?utm_source=onsite&utm_medium=latest_news

One possibility for that statistic may be because older generations are working until later in life to make ends meet. An earlier Pew study found that workers 65 and over are more satisfied overall with their work and find enjoyment and fulfillment from it all or most of the time. The March report also found that workers younger than 50 are more likely than their older counterparts to find their job stressful and overwhelming.

The share of older workers in the U.S. job market has more than tripled since 1987, making up 7% of all wages and salaries paid by employers in 2023. This is in part because these employees work longer hours — 62% of older workers currently work full time today, compared with 47% in 1987, and they're getting paid more. Last year, the typical worker aged 65 and above made $22 an hour; in 1987, they made $13 (in 2022 dollars).

Comments

• At 69, soon to be 70 in a month, I guess I fit the articles mold. I've continued to work as a contractor, part time in the summer (love my golf days) and mostly full time the rest of the year. It's been a nice gig for me for many of the reasons mentioned in the article. The money is nice, the social aspect is important, especially interaction with the youngsters, and there is little to no job stress when you don't care about ladder climbing or being downsized.