Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

FLPSX manager Joel Tillinghast's outlook from Semi-Annual Shareholder update

edited April 2013 in Fund Discussions
Fidelity funds semi-annual/annual shareholder updates are usually very brief. They follow the following standard questions:

Q. How did the fund perform, < insert manger name >
Q. What factors drove performance vs. the < index name > index for the six-month period?
Q. What specifically contributed to relative performance?
Q. What in particular hurt relative performance?
Q. What's your outlook, < insert manager name >?

Pretty dull. But I liked the answer Joel Tillinghast, the manager of FLPSX, one of the most successful fund managers at Fidelity given to the last question. His answer:

A. Is it possible to have an outlook if you question your ability to predict the future? Unless I have strong reasons to believe otherwise, I assume things will stay as they are. For some people, "as they are" means the latest data point breathlessly reported on television. But, as I see it, reality is a series of events, many of them contradictory. So predicting isn't what I do. And, since I am uncertain about what the future will bring, I need a strategy that can work in a variety of conditions. My strategy is to continue buying resilient, growing companies, but never, ever pay full price. I believe the strategy I have used for the past two decades has proven to be well suited for various investment climates, and that's what I remain committed to it.
I think this is a great answer.

Comments

• He has performed great over the past 15 years.

http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=FLPSX

Fund has 881 holdings but annual turnover is 19%. P/E, P/B, P/S, P/CF are all lower than category average.

All cap portfolio with a weighted average in mid-caps. 1/3 international. In other words, this fund can now be considered a global fund if you are looking for a global fund.
  • Reply to @Investor: Since his short sabbatical, the management team has expanded to a total of 7 co-managers, who would be in a good position when Tillinghast decides to retire. This is one of my longest holding in the past 10 years.