Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

the March MFO: options, active ETFs, the return of GMO and disruptive investing

What can I say?

Devesh, who worked as a high-level professional in the options industry, begins a two-part series of options (in general) and options as an OEF/ETF portfolio tool. The work arose from a request by an MFO reader and accelerated as Devesh discovered the relentless flow of assets moving in that direction.

Lynn pokes around in an area that he's paid relatively light attention to, the world of active ETFs, and comes away sort of impressed, I think.

Shadow digs through the corpses and the industry's other bits for us.

I spend a little space making a contrarian observation - perhaps it's time to start paying attention to GMO's projections again- and offer a half dozen strategies (and a dozen funds) that might help investors navigate a world in which they are, for the first time since about 2009, quite right.

In reviewing the funds in registration as the SEC this month, I was struck by the ongoing interest in launching "disciplined" and "disruptive" funds. Since they seemed to represent very different ways of thinking, I decided to investigate how well discipline and disruptiveness have played out. Hmmm ... let's say that over the past three years, it's been a pretty one-sided debate in terms of performance, if not of cash flow.

Berkshire Hathaway takes up a fair slice of the publisher's letter. I was touched by Buffett's encomium of Munger; it was less "he was my friend" and more "he made more of a difference than you could imagine." Buffett, sincerely I suspect, describes Munger as Berkshire Hathaway's architect while he, Buffett, got the plaudits but was mostly its general contractor. It was a thoughtful, adamant essay. Berkshire also played a role in a billion dollar gift to a small medical college, a far better use of money than the impulse to give it to Harvard. (I growl just a bit there.)

Hope your find nuggets at the least,

David

Comments

• I want to thank everyone. I haven't read through all yet, but I did want to acknowledge @lynnbolin2021 for his nice managed-ETF article. Nice to see all those funds compared in a few charts. I have definitely been moving more and more towards managed ETFs for much of my investment.