Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Does Japanese/ Euro printing signal a buy for US treasury funds?

beebee
edited April 2013 in Fund Discussions
In a conversation today with Kyle Bass I caught an interesting comment he made with regard to money printing around the globe (most recently Japan) and its potential impact on US treasuries (flight to quality).

Here's the interview:

His comments suggest nominial US Treaury yields moving towards negative territory "for all the wrong reasons".

If I understand his logic correctly US treasury bond funds like BTTRX and ETFs like EDV and TLT have some price appreciation in store for them.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Am probably early, but sold some Japanese stock exposure today. Will retain some various small bets on Japan, but the fundamentals remain negative and will probably not get any better. It's really a trade more than anything.

I do not like buying things that are doing what they're doing "for all the wrong reasons" and have negative fundamentals - Japan is a recent exception. Treasuries may do okay because of money flows, but if that's the case it won't be because of anything but money flowing this way and that.