Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Our Funds Boat,-.54% week, +4.29% YTD, no changes, 6-11-11 (EOM,no text)

edited June 2011 in Fund Discussions
Best to you and yours,
Catch

Comments

• Hi Catch,

I wanted you to know that I am not in a race with you on performance. You run mostly a fixed income portfolio with a small representation of equities ... and, I run more of a balanced type of portfolio that employes some seasonal and timing stratgies.

Last week had a stinger in it as I dropped 1.6%, from 5.7% to 4.1%, on my YTD returns.
    However, the Lipper Ballanced Index, my benchmark, dropped 1.7%, from 4.2% to 2.5%. I still remain ahead of my benchmark by a spread of about 1.6%.

Next week could be another stinger as quadruple witching comes on Friday.

Have a great weekend.

Skeeter
  • Hey Skeeter, Naw.....no race here either. Our house only races against our own returns goals. I congratulate your hard work and the resulting return YTD.

Your notations and thoughts provide a fine service for those who pass through MFO. We don't really know the stats, but there has to be "x" percentage of those who lurk or otherwise here who, like us; continue to fine tune the learning process. I will thank you again for your time and efforts with helping with this.

Yours is more properly noted as Balanced/Equity-Income, while perhaps our mix is Income-Equity or a perverted Balanced mix. I do have to view the approx. 40% high yield/high income as equity sensitive; let alone credit quality and interest rate sensitive. I will note that our house may use a rather strange benchmark of the Fido Cap & Income fund FAGIX over the many years. The fund generally has a top side limit of 20% equities among the HY/HI holdings. However, among the many benchmark indexes and related; I find no problem in using the fund's longterm returns as a guidepost or target to match against. Of the 1,000's of funds to regard; this one has a nice longterm shine for returns. Not unlike any holdings; there may be times when it too suffers from poor performance periods (sell it); but I do indeed suggest that anyone running their own portfolio to compare their returns over the long time frame against this fund. One sure could do much worse.

NOW, I would like a real race. Two identical cars, maximum speed limited by electronics to 120 mph and give it a try at Charlotte or Michigan OR ???:):):)

OK, I am away for food, meds and a nap......a very nasty head cold implanted to several of us from another last Thursday.........these colds are such a time stealer and limit clear thinking.

Take care of you and yours,
    Catch
  • Please take good care and get well.
  • Re non-race: In this image Catch, the tortoise, is seen to be slightly ahead.

http://www.childrensmusic-stories.com/images/tort-hare.gif