Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Are Gold Stocks Oversold? Franklin Templeton

beebee
edited April 2013 in Off-Topic
"Gold bugs have been bugging out over a sharp decline in the price of gold, which hit a two-year low in April. Many gold-related stocks felt the sting. Steve Land, CFA, portfolio manager and research analyst with Franklin Equity Group©, thinks gold-related stocks could be oversold, and that there are still compelling reasons to own them."

commentaries/franklin

Comments

• On paper they are oversold. But with gold prices declining towards $1300, a lot of gold mining companies will have difficulty turning profits. These are highly leveraged operations (high debt) so they might not be as cheap as they were once perceived to be.
  • Reply to @Investor:
    Good point...this sector seems ripe for mergers and acquistions, especially where known reserves exist, but current balance sheets are not sustainable.

The sector trend still appears downward moving.
  • edited April 2013
    Here's another quoting Michael Cuggino (PRPFX). Take it with a grain of salt. I'd think anyone running a precious metals fund - or one heavily weighted in that direction - should be viewed as less than impartial. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/17/gold-positions-idUSL2N0D31G820130417
  • Howdy,

Gold stocks have underperformed bullion pretty much for this entire bull run. For this to reverse, you'd have to see much lower prices for bullion and a continued bull market in equities.

I do question that statement that 'gold bugs have been bugging out over a sharp decline' - this was written to be cute [gold bugs - bugging out] but is hardly the truth. The gold bugs and I don't consider myself one by a long shot are the long term strong hands. They didn't do any selling. The sellers were the hedge funds and hot money and folks that had gotten in because it was 'the thing'. These were all the weak hands that were shaken loose by the price drop.

We'll have to see but we're already starting to see divergence between the paper price and the street price of bullion. This leads me to believe that a lot of the drop was market driven rather than based upon fundamentals. If this is the case, you should see buyers start shopping at these depressed prices.

I do think the heyday of the bullion ETFs and everyone buying a little are over. ETFs are perhaps one of the dumbest ways to invest in precious metals. They're completely subject to outside forces in one of the most highly crafted markets. They're taxed at 28%. I really doubt they could 'stand and deliver' the bullion they are supposed to have and there's quite a bit of doubt about the how genuine the bullion they do hold really is.

That said, we'll have to see.

peace,

rono