Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Panglossian Market Forecast

MJG
edited April 2013 in Fund Discussions
Hi Guys,

Do you remember financial economist Ed Yardeni and his dire Y2K prediction?

As the end of the 20th century approached, Ed Yardeni persistently touted the likely computer induced problems that would infect the financial markets because of shortsighted computer programming. He projected a catastrophe. He was wrong. Given the certainty and the absolute timeline of the event, industry directly addressed the potential problem, and took corrective action that worked perfectly. The Y2K event passed without incident.

It took some time given the magnitude and the wide dissemination of his notoriously misguided Y2K forecast, but Yardeni has managed to completely rehabilitate his damaged reputation.

Yardeni is fully recovered and is invited to speak and lecture at many public forums.

If you believe that the markets have solid fundamentals and an upward near-term momentum, Yardeni is your man for positive reinforcement. He is so optimistic that I would describe his analysis as being overtly Panglossian (overly optimistic).

Here is a Link to a recent market forecast short talk he delivered that was recorded on video:

http://www.pionline.com/multimedia/video?bctid=2233341456001&bclid=826020847001

Enjoy. I hope he’s more prescient today than he was in the past. We all have a history of hits and misses. I often disagreed with Ed Yardeni, but I always respected and admired his extensive research, his chart documentation, and his gutsy calls.

Best Regards.

Comments

• Yardeni is fully recovered and is invited to speak and lecture at many public forums.

Huh?
  • Loved it! Thank you MJG. You're right, easier and more prolific are the dire prospects. Appreciated this more bullish opinion...for a change!