Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Good Day for Market...Here's Why:

beebee
edited May 2013 in Off-Topic
"American employers took on more workers than forecast in April and the jobless rate unexpectedly fell to a four-year low of 7.5 percent, reflecting confidence in the outlook for the world’s biggest economy."

Bloomberg Article and Video:
bloomberg.com/news

Comments

• Maybe, but we have friends in International Falls,MN and the Boise paper mill just layed off 300. 1/3 of work force. Population was 6,376 in 2011.

Art
  • Reply to @Art: Sorry for your friends. But, paper mill industry is probably not a growth sector. And yes I understand it is never a good situation where the major manufacturer lay off a lot of workers in a small town. You can always find a place that is doing worse than the rest.
  • beebee
    edited May 2013
    Reply to @Art:
    Hi Art,

I grew up in the Hardware City (New Britain, CT) where Stanley Works all but shut down the city in the 1970's when they moved their manufaturing overseas. Even 40 years later the town is still trying to reinvent itself. When a town puts all of its faith into one company, a lot is riding on the companies committment to the town.

As an aside... Companies like Boise Paper...provide much more to a town's richness that merely a tax base from the sale of its products...here's what I appreciated about Stanley Works (and its factory workers) impact on America...a little known facts like;

"In 1895, the basketball technique of dribbling was developed at the New Britain YMCA." and it was Stanley Works employees who fequented the YMCA and played for the factory and town teams.

As James Naismith commented;

"The original rules said nothing about dribbling, merely stating that passing the ball was the legal way of advancing it. Players soon developed the strategy of "passing to themselves", which Naismith himself both endorsed and admired for its ingenuity, and which evolved into the dribble as it is known today."

It maybe my small way of thinking, but Paper...Metal empower individuals and serve as a catalyst to transform greater things for a society. It's sad when profitability become the only criteria for Industry.
  • edited May 2013
    Reply to @bee: Ha! Nice story Bee. My wife was born in New Britain. We both grew up in the adjacent town of Newington, where I believe Fafnir Bearing represents an analogous sad story.