Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Question about on-line (virtual) banking

edited May 2013 in Off-Topic
Why is it I can get a .85 percent rate with a web bank (american express) but the best I can do locally (in Georgia) with a premier type savings account is .20 (Chase)? Besides the brick and mortar, the comfort of actually seeing the bank, what am I missing that accounts for the big difference?

Anyone using on-line banks and their experience with them kindly chime in.

Comments

• hi Puck, please re-characterize this as 'off-topic' from the 'fund discussions'. to answer your question, the brick and mortar costs much more money - real estate, salaries, benefits, etc. the virtual is much cheaper, hence the difference in rates. i've been using a web-bank since 2004 and have no complaints.
  • edited June 2013
    Yep - we humans require expensive maintenance - food, housing, medical care, retirement, (and always the chance one of us might jump up & bite the employer with a harassment or wrongful termination lawsuit:-). SInce so much is now done electronically, many smaller branch banks are having trouble justifying staying open. I'd guess 90% of the stuff we do could easily be done on-line or at a ATM. But, I still appreciate the human touch and plan to stick around at the local branch long as they have one.