Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited May 2013
    The level of hatred of gold by some is the polar/extreme opposite of how they view gold bugs' love of it. I like REITs (in some cases a lot and some specific sectors not much), but I agree with your comment.
  • edited May 2013
    Reply to @scott: Thanks - FYI, Have linked a second read (above) which perhaps further supports your insight.
  • edited May 2013
    Reply to @hank: As for the Blackstones of the world buying up rentals, I think the situation kind of starts to take care of itself - you see in the article regarding Oaktree (which I own) getting skeptical and backing away.

• Hi Hank. I traded my smallish holding of TGLDX and for CSRSX last year. Since then the PM/miners fund is down ~30%. The REIT fund up ~15%. Reits my be volitle, but nothing like the volitility of miners. They'll have their day in the sun again, but they're to hot for me to handle.
  • edited June 2013
    Reply to @MikeM: Good move Mike & not your first, as I recall.
  • Reply to @MikeM: There are some lower-key REITs as well. ROIC (Retail Opportunity Investments Corp) is one that I mentioned on here as being more defensive a few months back and it's up nicely. A number of the health care REITs also continue to do well. I also continue to like the triple net REITs (such as WP Carey and Reality Income)

• edited June 2013
    Just a thought - PRAFX provides real estate exposure.

http://individual.troweprice.com/gcFiles/pdf/arraf.pdf
  • I'm playing REITs/Gold/TIPs/etc. through PDRMX.

I do have small very long term positions in VIPSX and TGLDX. I am not adding to either any more.

I just don't get what PRAFX is doing.
  • edited June 2013
    Reply to @VintageFreak: Hi VF - Yep - I wasn't trying to tout any particular fund here - and they've got some real good people over at PIMCO.
  • REIT's valuation is trading above S&P 500. In addition, they are economical sensitive and highly correlate to equity. So tread lightly.

online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424052748703591404578453020304813236.html?mod=BOL_hpp_emc#printMode