Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ISO Precious Metals Fund

edited April 2011 in Fund Discussions
Hello --

Can anybody recommend a precious metals fund that invests in silver and platinum as well as gold? If it holds some bullion in addition to mining stocks and futures, so much the better. Thanks.

Comments

• Howdy,

I own Tocqueville Gold TGLDX which contrary to its name is a full sprectrum precious metals fund, rather then pure play gold. It also owns gold bullion.

I've owned it taxable for years and love it.

Here's the Top 25 Holdings from m*:

http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/holdings?t=TGLDX&region=USA&culture=en-us

Here's the 6 month chart. You can select a longer period within the left margin controls.

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/advchart/frames/frames.asp?nosettings=1&symb=tgldx&uf=8&type=1&size=2&sid=0&style=340&freq=1&time=7&rand=5445&compidx=aaaaa:0&ma=3&maval=50&lf=16&lf2=32&lf3=4&height=0&width=0&mocktick=1

peace,

rono
  • Hi Rono (hope you see this): Since you hold this in your taxable account, I would assume it is not taxed at 28%?
  • edited April 2011
    HI lisa;

I think you may consider couple of funds/etfs to hold all these vehicles [silver/gold/palladium] you've mentioned

we do have pspfx - us global resources, prpfx - permanent portfolio has gold/silver/US-T, as well as gld - gold etf. you may need to add PALL - palladium ETF

I think these would be reasonable and give you adequate performances [these comprise 10s% of total portfolio]
    I also linked a bunch of articles on commodities if you are interested [see the previous post or the recent posts]

I also have a little of MOO & DBA - agricultures ETFs, & EVEP EV energy part - Energy reits...

I don't have much palladium nor nuclear - NLR [these are the few that I am missing] but these are very volatile and hard to play but could be worth the risks due to high energy demands.

http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/holdings?t=PALL
  • As we often do, Rono and I agree on a number of options here. We use U.S. Global World Precious MInerals (UNWPX - we use UNWIX) and a smattering of First Eagle Gold (SGGDX) for mining stock exposure as well as some bullion. For gold and silver bullion, we use Central Fund of Canada (CEF - closed-end fund). It is taxed like a mutual fund, unlike GLD or MVG, which are taxed as collectibles and better used in retirement accounts. And Permanent Portfolio is in almost every client portfolio.

Other options include U.S. Global Resources (PSPFX - we use PIPFX), which owns all kinds of mineral plays. If you are looking into non-coal, oil, and nuclear energy, Market Vectors Global Alternative Energy (GEX) would be worth a look. We use it as a part of our green and socially responsible allocations.
  • ETF.....GLTR
  • Hi Lisa/all,

No. Mutual funds are taxed at regular rates. The problem lies with the bullion ETFs like SLV and GLD. They have had an IRS determination that they are collectibles and as such, taxed at the collectible rate of 28%. Like Bob mentioned, if you wish to own real bullion (more than the 6% a mutual fund like TGLDX holds) you can try CEF (Central Fund of Canada). Personally, I prefer holding real physical bullion. Cripes, you can buy some plain vanilla gold jewelry and accomplish this and not deal with taxes.

peace,

rono
  • I like Toqueville (TGLDX) for a longer-term play; UNWPX is a more aggressive and volatile fund, but is an excellent fund with a very good manager. USERX is a calmer fund from US Global. First Eagle also has a Gold fund.
  • edited April 2011
    I do have physical bullion (gold and silver); just bought 100 oz more of silver in Sunshine bars a couple of weeks ago. I'm not a jewelry person--prefer bars or coins.
  • HI Lisa,

Nice thing about a 100 oz ingot, is that you can paint it black and use it as a doorstop.

I've mentioned many times that a roll of gold eagles (20) in a nice square plastic tube is about the size of a quarter and a couple of inches tall. You can hide it in the oatmeal can. Current value? $30K.

Lot's of ways to skin a cat.

peace,

rono