Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Another Week, Another 1.3% and No Distribution Days

edited May 2013 in Fund Discussions
Volume down a bit, but another positive week for market...

Comments

• Yeah, darn. Guess we'll just have to deal with it.
  • What is the 2.3% week gain reference from...??? One finds VTI at + 1.5% and SPY at + 1.3% for the week.
  • edited May 2013
    Reply to @catch22: Ha! Glad somebody out there is checking numbers. Added the new weekly return & volume numbers to standard chart this week...mistakenly referenced to last Friday instead of Monday with Excel function "Offset(Xref,5,,)" instead of "Offset(Xref,4,,)"! Corrected now. Thanks catch for catch=).
  • Thanks Charles,
    I thought this link would fit your thread nicely:
    dshort/updates/Current-Market-Snapshot
  • Reply to @bee: Very sweet. I bookmarked it. Thanks Bee!
  • Reply to @bee:
    As we've regularly seen in daily charts, the new high was not accompanied by volume, which today was 12% below its 50-day moving average.
    What does low trading volume is telling us while the market is moving up?
  • I'm relatively new to the charting and some of the terminology that is used on the site. Can you tell what is means to have "No Distributions Days" and its relevance with the uptrend market last week?

I have seen the Distribution Days concept stated in some other technical reports and the concern. But I do not understand the importance and reasoning of it.

Thank you.
  • Reply to @learningcurve: Hi LeaningCurve. The term was new to me also, until Flack taught me a few weeks back. A "Distribution Day" is when the market drops on higher than average volume...a sign of weakness in the market and a warning perhaps that momentum is reversing. The numbers are easy to plot, but whether they really foretell the future? That debate wages on.
  • Reply to @Charles: is it a lagging, coincident or lagging indicator. The implication is that it is a leading indicator but I am not sure. It feels more like co-incident indicator to me.