Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

I'm deliberately holding on to my current positions despite the downdrafts.....

........UNTIL the next bounce. I think it will be a "dead cat bounce." I've concluded that we're in a funk that will take many years to rise out of, like the Great Depression. When that bounce happens, I'm going to throw a great deal more into bonds than I own at present. MWHYX is where I'll send the money. DLENX looks good, too. But in that same EM Bond category, my PREMX is yielding better than Luz Padilla seems to be able to get over at Double Line.

Comments

• hi max
    you are still young, still get sometime to let the wave ride
    I am in the same boat, lots of equities but still holding on
    it's still considered a corrections
    it will go up but we'll see how the corrections does
  • Hey, JohnN. Young? THANKS! Middle-aged is more like it, and currently---suddenly--- unemployed! I'm expecting, happily, some inheritance money, though we all miss our old maiden aunt, who lived to be 89. It would not be wise for me to dump ALL equity funds, but the hair on the back of my neck is standing at attention. Should have "sold in May and went away?"
  • edited June 2011
    HI Max
    I feel your pain, it's very hard to feed your mouth/family first then to feed the stock markets
    I wish you the best of luck
    try this website for job search www.indeed.com

You should have 'sold in may' but when the bad news come it's usually too late and as Buffet stated in the past 'when the tide goes away you'll see who is swimming naked' in that mentality...hope fully you may have a portfolio like Skeeter or Catch and you'll be happy. It's very difficult to TIME the market

I am still holding on too lots of equities, we'll see what will happen

if you want to consider something safe
    I've bought a Dallas-Airpt muni bond, yields 7% until maturity in 2020s, A- [stable outlook] @ zions direct, they use to have 50K but now they may have less. I think it's a very safe gamble having a stable economy in Dallas and airprt would never bankrupt [unless a major black swan events like terrorists or WWIII]
    if you consider placing it in a somewhat safe vehicle:
    zions direct bond for less
    cusip 235034ar6
  • Thanks, man. Really.
  • I am sorry to hear that you lost your job and also your aunt. You mentioned above you are going to get some inheritance from your Aunt. I kind of remember you had your existing portfolio also seeded with another inheritance (correct me if I am wrong). You can thank your ancestors for this gift. Invest wisely to cherish their memory.
  • Hi Max,

I am sorry to learn of your dislocation. I have been through several of these myself; and, perhaps an opportunity will come along that will even be better for you. I found this to be true in my case.

The second best job, make that the best job, that I have had in my life has been investing. I can manage it in my own style, not others, and success can be had more ways than one as investing teaches one independent thinking. Through the years, my investmets have grown to the point where I actually make more off my portfolio that I make by way of pay check form my employer.

I try to find humor in most things ... as such ... I'll close with this.

A bus station is where a bus stops ... A train station is where a train stops ... And, on my desk is a work station. And, if the works stops at my station ... Then there is the dog track.

Have a good day Max; and, here is wishing you the very best.

Skeeter

• I still prefer the convenience of a bond FUND, though for YEARS, I resisted it, preferring to own individual bonds. I have one coming due in '13 which has been giving me 5.68% compounded every year, almost doubling my investment by then, since '03. But I appreciate the tip.
  • Investor: kind and wise words. Thank you very much. Once employed again, wifey and I plan to help my in-laws in Philippines. You know the quote: "Give me a fish, I eat today. TEACH me to fish, I eat for a lifetime." We are planning to gift my brother-in-law with enough to buy his OWN taxi, rather than renting one every day, and maybe he and his family will not have to go hand-to-mouth every day.
  • Skeeter: I hope to follow in your footsteps in uncovering something much more satisfying. Over the course of time, we do see our world rather differently than when we first arrived on the scene, looking to get started, after putting school DAZE behind us, yes? And if I can do as well as yourself, given the way you describe the results of your investing, I will be very grateful.