Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Douglas Rao to manage Janus 40

edited May 2013 in Fund Discussions
Those who followed Marsico Flexible Capital (MFCFX) remember its beautiful performance, but then its manager Douglas Rao left Marsico and joined Chautauqua Capital Management, http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/chautauqua-capital-management-names-a-douglas-rao-partner-and-co-portfolio-manager-166119886.html

It seems that he decided to return to fund management, at Janus. This is from M*:

The firm also has hired Douglas Rao to manage Janus Forty, which should differentiate it in the future from the previously identical Janus Twenty. Rao worked at Marsico Capital Management (founded by former Janus manager Tom Marsico) as an analyst and manager from 2005-12, steered Negative-rated Marsico Flexible Capital (MFCFX) to a fine record in a five-year tenure, and comanaged Neutral-rated flagships Marsico Growth (MGRIX) and Marsico Focus (MFOCX) for 2.5 years. Janus Forty is now expected to have a larger stake in non-U.S. stocks than Janus Twenty.

I wonder what do you think about it, in view of many recent manager departures from Janus, see http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=597235

Comments

• Thank Andrei,
    I will follow this fund going forward. MFCFX seems to still be performing quite well.
  • The two previously unknown managers seem to be carrying the ball pretty well since Rao's departure. I own a fair amount of this fund and I keep looking at it for signs of weakness, but none are apparent yet to my eye.
  • edited May 2013
    Reply to @BenWP: I am not sure that this is the case:

During the 5 years when Rao was the manager, the fund outperformed S&P 500 by 60%. Meanwhile since his departure the fund is doing almost exactly as S&P 500. It is not bad at all, but...
  • Reply to @BenWP:

I too own of significant stake in MFCFX and was very dissappointed when Mr. Rao left. BUT, the fund is still performing very well w/o him! Something to ponder!!!!

I don't know anything about Janus 40 but I will be keeping an eye on it now.