Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

CAMAX vs YACKX...Agressive Value vs Value

beebee
edited May 2013 in Fund Discussions
When I think of a good value fund I think of YACKX. A manager who finds mispriced values in stocks. YACKX also seems to do this with a lot less volitilty than other funds in its catatgory. When I think of volatility I think of uncertainity in the market which often is the temporary event that causes mispricing in the market. Recently I have tried to consider volitily as an opportunity that a small investors can take advantage of.

I wanted to see if there was any advantage for me to hold YACKX (value fund with low volitility) for the long term and CAMAX (aggressive value fund with high volitilty) for opportunistic reasons...doing more short term buying and selling based on the volitility of CAMAX compared to YACKX.

I often chart my funds against one another using M* chart tool. With this in mind, I charted YACKX against CAMAX to see where the opportunities existed. This would mean buying into CAMAX when it trailed YACKX and selling out of CAMAX when it out performed YACKX. YACKX's steady performance (lack of volitilty) provides the reference for me to determine my buying and selling decisions.

If you have any suggestions on any solid agressive value funds similar to CAMAX I woud like to here from you. Here is YACKX charted against CAMAX over the last 5 years. I am utilizing Jing's video capture tool so sorry for the occasional verbal missteps...not yet a card carrying member of the screen actor's guild.

screencast.com/t/hx6I7oGJb3z

Correction...most recently (1 month) CAMAX is outperfroming YACKX by 5%, no (1/2%) like I stated at the end of the video.

Comments

• How about VCVLX...
  • Reply to @joe74:

Thanks joe74...I'll compare it.
  • Reply to @bee: What is your time frame for the comparison of the performance of the two funds? A month? 3 months? A year?...

Sorry if this is a naive question.

BWG
  • beebee
    edited May 2013
    Reply to @BWG:
    My hope was that readers would also watch the interactive video, click here, I ceated which looks at these two fund over 5 year timeframe all the way up to a month ago. The chart comparison merely provides the oppotunistic buying and selling of the more volatile fund, in this case, CAMAX.
  • Reply to @bee: We are all human and it is hard to hang on to volatile funds especially through the rough patches. For instance, regardless how well CGM Focus fund did in the bull markets, but it also suffered worse than the average and tamer funds. These days CGM funds seldom get much press. Personally I prefer Yacktman fund.