Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

WAFMX or MEASX?

edited May 2013 in Fund Discussions
Planning on holding for a long time.....

Comments

• WAFMX due to manager track record and personal stake in the fund. Also, WAFMX has greater country diversification. Another choice coming in the next few weeks will be a similar offering from Grandeur Peak.
  • edited May 2013
    I own both but prefer the investment philosophy of WAFMX since it is heavily over-weighted consumer defensive and consumer cyclical stocks as a more pure play on the rapid growth in GDP of these fast growing, youthful populations.
  • what about OBIOX?
  • Reply to @JimJ: This year WAFMX has done well. Concern I have is the country allocation (19% Nigeria, and 13% Kenya) and the political instability of that region. I did noted that defensive sectors that WAFMX is favoring and it seems to contribute to this year's return. For the record, I invest with Laura Geritz who manages WAEMX. But this is a very different fund than WAFMX or MEASX.

Question is which region, Africa or Asia, in term of risk and return?
  • edited May 2013
    Reply to @Carefree: OBIOX is a different type of fund. It is not a fund playing in Frontier Markets but rather diversified International Small/Mid cap area. I've posted more at the other thread you started:

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/index.php?p=/discussion/6623/thoughts-on-obiox-fund/p1