Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• msf
    edited December 2013
    I ran across the Barron's annuity article when searching for info on one of the annuities mentioned. (I want to give john credit for posting the article, hence this late update to the thread.)

Not trying to start a discussion on the merits and demerits of annuities. Just pointing out a good article, which contains a sizable table of the current low cost annuities on the market:
    http://barrons.wsj.net/public/resources/images/BA-BC004F_Annui_G_20130525021205.jpg
  • Howdy msf,

Thank you for the followup article link. There are circumstances for some folks where these products have a position in their overall financial structure. Folks should know that there are alternatives with annuities, and this list provides some other paths.

We've had several discussions here about the "other" annuities. The type with the high fees and surrender fee charges. ARGH !!!

I suspect a substanial number of "boomers" find themselves involved with distributions from their parent's estates these days. Many of these "boomers" no longer have an active tax sheltered investment path via 401k's, IRA's, etc. These types of annuities in the list provide a possible option for tax sheltering; and to let the taxation be what it may into the future, upon withdrawal(s) time.

I am somewhat familiar with the Fidelity product; as I have discussed their plan with several folks I know. For about .75 - 1% total fees (includes fund(s) expense); one has some decent fund choices. Fidelity's annuity, however; does limit fund exchanges per year, to four; if my recall is correct. But, this should provide enough flexibility for most folks.

Wondering how many lotto winners (the larger sums) are aware of these products.

Thanks again and take care,
    Catch