Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

a revivified thread: would a portfolio shift from e.m. bonds to e.m. stocks make sense for me?

gone. nevermind.

Max: I don't think board members can delete their threads but chip, Accipiter and I can. If you'd like to make something vanish, just PM one of us or switch the subject line to something like "David, please delete."

As ever, me

Comments

• Max,You had some good ideas to bounce off the board here 15 minutes ago.What happened?
  • Too long, too wordy. For many of the rest of you, most of the info. is "old news." Couldn't figure out how to completely DELETE the posting. ... It boils down to THIS: shall I ride this out with my bonds? Bonds are facing big headwinds lately. Or---AFTER I get paid the next upcoming dividends--- should I use another portion of PREMX, which is sinking, even if not unexpectedly, in order to buy more shares in TRAMX? ...TRAMX is at a high-point, since I bought-in, 9 months ago. Both are TRP. Both are in rollover IRAs. And I am reinvesting all gains. And if I don't have to do it, I don't want to even touch my portfolio for regular income. Wanna leave it to wifey, who's much younger. We have a will... THANK YOU, TSP_Transfer.
  • Hi Max,

The chart for PREMX does not look pretty, so if it were my money, I would be inclined to shift money from PREMX to TRAMX. If you are willing to consider other TRP funds, then I would prefer PRHSX or PRNHX over TRAMX. Despite the recent managerial change at PRHSX, I still like the Healthcare sector and TRP has a deep bench of talented analysts and managers.

Kevin
  • edited May 2013
    Thank you, kevindow. I checked out those two. I can't invest in health care. It's an ethical filter: I want to take capitalist profits OUT of healthcare. And I have small-cap already covered. I've been through and done my homework laboriously through just about all the TRP funds, going back to when I owned TRP funds in my 403b. For lotsa different reasons, only PRSVX, PREMX and TRAMX are suiting my purposes currently, and I've unloaded PRSVX in favor of MSCFX. I don't want to own so many different funds, besides--- because I'm just a bit beyond 6 figures in total, anyhow... I will continue to chew on this PREMX to TRAMX change. PREMX is my BIGGEST holding, so I have a lot of room to dollar-cost-average into a bigger TRAMX position. I realize I'm talking about EM bonds into Frontier equities. I don't want to bet the farm on a Frontier fund, of course. My investing time horizon, in fact, is .....unlimited, until I'm gone. And the Value oriented Contrarian Voice in me says, "stand pat." I appreciate the response.

Anyone else with any thoughts about this for me? Thanks in advance.
  • Hi, Max.

I saw your original post last night but, after the call and a meeting about the future of Will's Little League team (not good, not good at all), I was too tuckered to write.

My impression, in my sleep-depraved state (trust me on that one), was that I understood the trees but not the forest. Trees: inheritance issues managed, bond funds are a percent above or below zero YTD, TRAMX is rockin' and PREMX might become a funding source for a larger TRAMX position.

The Forest Question: what are you trying to achieve that your current portfolio isn't allowing? Given the goal of living on your portfolio's income distributions, a shift toward equities will weaken the income stream. It's also likely to raise your volatility. So are you thinking that you need more capital growth or a better inflation hedge?

Curious, as ever,

David (who's spending his birthday writing about income-oriented investments and fretting about Little League)
  • Happy birthday, man, and thank you for the thoughtful reply. Too bad about the Little League situation. I'm the staunchest baseball fan in this or any other universe.

The Forest question: what am I trying to get that my current portfolio isn't allowing? Ding. Spot-on, that. The straightforward answer is that I simply was wanting not to undergo avoidable losses--- in terms of the daily share-price on PREMX. It's getting beat-up. But I don't want to just react in a knee-jerk fashion. I've not pulled the trigger on this idea, yet. And I'm not in a panic. I'm sitting on some goodly profits in PREMX and TRAMX, though my TRAMX stake is much, much smaller....I see icebergs and enemy planes ready to strafe and the route ahead is mined. It's always been that way, but steering through it is becoming very difficult, almost impracticable.

...AND, yes: I'd like to grow my overall portfolio, even if not for myself. But the tools that have worked before are not working so well right now, that's all...Everything is cyclical in investing. I'm just asking myself, how LONG can I afford to just batten down the hatches. How long before the leaks overwhelm the pumps? ...My TOTAL portfolio has lost less than 3% during this latest downdraft. Nothing to freak out about. But...

"I do not LIKE it, SAM I AM,
    I do not LIKE green eggs and ham."

Appreciate your work, as always, David. And Chip, Accipiter--- keeping the website going.