Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What are your 3-5 year expectations for China (and MAPIX)?

edited June 2011 in Fund Discussions
I'm confused. It seems to me lately that China is so inter-connected with the U.S. that the market movements are very similar. Is that because China owns so much of the U.S. and/or so many U.S. Corporations have so much interest in China now?

Though you may believe that China is still a good long-term buy, how do you believe Matthews Funds like MAPIX will do in the shorter 3-5 year term?

I've learned so much from all of you at this Forum over the last year.....just enough to understand how much I DON'T know.

Cathy

Comments

• China's attempts to deal with inflationary pressures have resulted in a drag on market performance this year, but if it succeeds, it will be healthy for the longer-term. The issue with China - and the issue with other countries besides this one, is that they are going to fight inflation because they fear social unrest, which there has been some reports of lately.

You're seeing this in other emerging markets, as well. I think my fear is that that inflation that we've exported swings back in this direction.

I see a great deal of potential in Asia, especially over the longer term and that's where I want to be. However, nothing's foolproof - I think these countries have potential and the building blocks to be a substantial force over the next decade. China's attempts to go "shopping" previously included massive natural resource buys, but I think their attempts to buy up tons of European debt will either result in disaster or maybe they'll just wind up owning large portions of Greece and its neighbors. It goes to show the interconnected nature of things though; there are some serious issues in Greece, and they keep getting bailed out because if they default, some bank somewhere else in Europe goes under. If the Euro takes a huge tumble, China holds a lot of Euros. If Greece goes, so goes Spain and Portugal (most likely.)

It's really a worldwide attempt to keep throwing good money after bad, but whether it's Greece or our own debt issues, the inevitability cannot be avoided - bailing out Greece again and again will just play out like a really unpleasant global version of "Groundhog Day", but there is a point where the can cannot keep getting kicked down the road. There was an excellent (and really kind of powerful) interview with Jim Sinclair on King World News yesterday and whatever one thinks about the gold discussion, I agree with his statement about the debt and economy issues we and Europe are facing - "You don't need one more thing to happen, you don't need any more problems, you don't need anymore degrees of problems. This problem is here, this problem is now, it's not tomorrow - it's right as we're talking. 'This is it' was a long time ago. There is no plan to repair, there's only a plan to kick the can down the road." (http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/Broadcast/Entries/2011/6/16_Jim_Sinclair.html)

Whether or not China can figure some way to take advantage, who knows. Maybe not. Either way, it's very, very clear that there are no plans to solve any of these problems aside from printing more money.

Whether due to external or internal forces, China and other EM's can certainly run into problems. If there is another 2008, countries with better balance sheets may fare better, but no one's getting out of that unscathed. I wouldn't own a China-centric fund, and while I do think China has significant potential, I also quite like Singapore, Malaysia and other Asian-region nations.

I still hold an assortment of smaller positions in Matthews funds, Pimco EM Multi-Asset and larger positions in Jardine Matheson and Jardine subsidiary Dairy Farm International. I do have less overall EM exposure than I did a year or two ago, but have no plans to decrease from the current level. I don't hold any EM bond funds at this point and really don't have any fixed income funds at this point.
  • Thanks so much for your usual very prompt and informative help in answering my questions! I do plan on keeping MAPIX in our accounts as a long-term hold, but am considering sale in one of my Mom's trusts as an added buffer of more short-term emergency income. Hopefully will never be needed with substantial cash I already set up for her....but you never know with her age and medical problems.

Cathy
  • If you want to take down risk, you could definitely sell, but I guess for me it becomes "then what?" I don't have a particularly good long-term view on a lot of fixed income, but I could certainly be wrong on that for a while or a long-while, but I don't want to time it. You really have to either stick with the very best - Gundlach and mortgage bonds, for example - or go with one of the new, more flexible funds (although I've been disappointed by Pimco Unconstrained.) I've decided to leave the credit markets to the hedge funds I bought, although the trade-off with that is that you're getting a much, much more immediate and tactical approach but not getting any income.
  • Aye, Scott, there's the rub.... where to invest in a market I don't understand at all. Just seems to me that all the U.S. economy negatives occurring and continuing for years now and with absolutely no signs that we will ever again actually have responsible, non-bought-off politicians in a government who are capable of correcting these problems should have brought the market down much more than it has so far.
  • edited June 2011
    Cathy, not knowing what else you have in the portfolio you could sell to dial down risk, it's hard to say. I consider Mapix & Macsx (now closed) long-term holds, though I took some profits in Mapix a couple of months ago - about 20% of the earlier position. Both funds' being broadly diversified over an immense continent full of nations on at least slightly different trajectories is a big factor in holding them. In general, I'm thinking major correction or bear coming up either very soon or mid-term, and have cut back on developed stock but generally not yet on EM stock.

I still have substantial bond holdings, but nothing too speculative, and mostly with long-term winners such as Gross, TCW (now run by the MetWest team), and Gundlach/Padilla at DoubleLine.

Hope this helps a little ... FWIW -- AJ
  • Thanks so much for your input, AndyJ. I already have a very low-risk Portfolio for Mom, but am keeping the smaller percentages in YACKX, ICMAX and BERIX, along with TGEIX and TEGBX. Also hold PRPFX and smaller IAU. These have helped portfolio gains during good or dollar devaluation times and I have faith in them for longer term. Have rest in Intermediate, short and multi-sector Bond funds, combined which have helped get 3.8% YTD and -.26% Month - which I am satisfied with given the market this year.
  • Out of curiosity, Cathy, what are the main bond funds (i.e., the top few in position size) you own now?
  • I have confidence in Matthews. As far as I'm concerned, when things get so bad that everyone is hoarding money and just putting it under the mattress, the only other thing to do is give money to Matthews. Between MAPIX and MACSX, Matthews holds 40% of my stuff right now. Much more in MAPIX than in MACSX, just because I'd put much more in MAPIX due to it being a Trad. IRA rollover from TAVIX (Third Ave. Int'l Value) a few years ago. My MACSX holding is a normal, taxable account.

As I wrote and shared elsewhere, I've become convinced that our current funk is here to stay for many years. We are the victims of the greedy monsters who caused the Crash in '08-'09. In terms of investment returns, I believe we have less and less to look forward to, but to make the best of it, I would stick with Matthews....Although once we get the next (dead cat) bounce, I'll take quite a bit and put it into MWHYX, to complement my PREMX holdings--- currently just 6.42% of total. Add that to the amount invested in a specific bond at 5.74% of my holdings, and at the moment, only a bit over 12% of my portfolio is in bonds. Much too low, and I'm finally facing it. I ought to be taking advantage of the monthly dividends I should be getting, and re-investing that money.
  • edited June 2011
    Largest bond funds are DBLTX, PTTRX, TGLMX, THOPX and PONDX (9% to 12% each). I realize the overlap, especially in Intermediate funds, but think all are good funds so don't see the value in selling one to move to the other. And, as importantly, I don't know where else to move some of those funds given this economy.
  • Thanks for your input, Max. If I could trust that the market will move the way economic conditions move - and not the seemingly random, irrelevant to reality movements the machine traders are creating - I would feel a lot more comfortable in choosing funds. I regularly monitor ours - and all my Mom's Trust Portfolios (one which has 90% equities I have no control over). They do great when times are good - but lose so much during down times that, even if you use 10-year criteria, my "turtle" approach ends up favorably - which far less stress. Of course if I had to get higher returns to live on, I would feel forced to increase volatility. But fortunately for me, we have sufficient income without high returns.
  • I hear ya. All good funds, and where else would you go?