Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Investment discussion

edited May 2013 in Fund Discussions
Sorry for asking this question. Never invested in Equities directly always thru mutual funds.

About Stop-limit order that I would like to place on a ticker symbol. Wanted to confirm my understanding is correct.

If I want to sell a stock when it hits 100$, I should place a stop-limit order with $100. It might be trading at 110$ at the moment. When & if it drops to $100, my order will be placed. Is this correct?

Thanks much
nath

Comments

• Hi nath,

You are describing a "stop" sell order. A "stop" order specifies the price at which your order becomes a market order, and a "limit" order specifies a specific price or better that you want this market order executed. The "limit" order places a limit on the market price that you will accept.

Let's say you want to sell a stock that is trading at $110 and you want to sell it at $100 but not less than $90. You place a "stop-limit" sell order of $100 (stop) and $90 (limit). Just realize that in a rapidly plunging market, the stock price may never actually trade between $100 and $90 and your order may not be filled.

On the buy side, if you are want to buy a stock with upward momentum that is trading at $100, you place a "stop-limit" buy order of $110 (stop) and $120 (limit). Again, if the stock is rocketing up and never trades in the $110-120 range, your order may not be filled.

Hope this helps.

Kevin