Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What is your diversifier on a down US equity day...

edited May 2013 in Fund Discussions
I have noticed that Pimco Global Bond--Unhedged PGBDX is always up on these big down days for US equities. I don't own it but I am watching. What is your diversifier?

Comments

• AQR Diverified Arbitage, AGANX. It has been steady so far this year.
  • I finally found a use for a long-short fund, ARLSX in this case, on days like these last few when most stocks and most bonds are down. It's up reasonably in the last week, while all my other funds are down. I still have a core bond fund that would normally be less correlated with stocks, but of course that's not happening right now.

• Wasatch Long-Short FMLSX stayed above the fray, and most basic materials/resources funds had a plus day. And mining stock funds were up as much as 2-3%. Mind you, I am not suggesting you rush out and buy one.
  • ron
    edited May 2013
    While I'm always interested in what's happening, I don't make changes to my asset allocation quickly or easily. Over the past couple of years, in fact, I've increased my bond allocation and now hold, in order of amount, PIMIX, MWTRX, FSICX, FEHIX,TGEIX,TGBAX, JRO, PDT, 1 TIP bond. I'm also 79, retired. I also have some funds that hold some bonds like VWINX
  • I like Mainstay marketfield MFLDX which does a good deal of shorting, although often baskets of securities. It also holds some bonds and shorts same, and somtimes high in cash. It contrasts well with long/short funds, &over certain time periods has beaten the s&p. It has some history to it as can be seen by morningstar data, and analysis. The question is whether mr. Aronstein can continue making good market calls over the future, which as we all know, is esquisitely difficult. The fund can be pricey depending on whether you got in before mainstay acquired it. Is without a load on the schwab platform. I do like the that its turnover is not excessive as in some other similiar funds.