Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Oberweis International Oppotunities

edited June 2013 in Fund Discussions
Does anyone have experience with Oberweis or have any comments regarding OBIOX. I am looking for long term small/mid cap international exposure. Thanks

Comments

• I was curious because I'd never heard of OBIOX so took a quick look ... it doesn't pass my quick risk test, which consists of M* risk rating (high), 2008 return (-60%), and Q3 2011 return (-24%).

Have you looked at WAIGX? I haven't researched the category very deeply, but from the limited time I put into it, the Wasatch fund looks pretty good -- pretty volatile, but not really any more than the category, and it puts up good numbers when the going's smooth.

FWIW, AJ
  • edited June 2013
    This is a high risk, high return fund. In an upwardly trending market this one performs beautifully. It did particularly bad in 2008-2009 when the fund was new, the valuations were stretched. I did invest in this fund close when it was very new. Sold some during initial declines and sold the final remainder exactly on March 9, 2009. How is that for timing? I did bail out but consolidated money in other funds that had longer history at the time such as OAKEX. So, I did not sit out the recovery completely.

Now the fund is investing in stocks with much better valuations and PEG ratio is attractive. I like the current portfolio that I've put some very small starting amount again. With the manager more experienced I think this fund will probably do better. However, it is a high beta fund so it may make you sea sick on rough seas.

If you cannot bear the risk, I suggest you take a look at some other alternatives such as GPIOX or WAIOX. There is OAKEX if you want one that is more value oriented.

As a disclosure, I do have GPIOX in my portfolio as well.
  • Hello! My name is John Collins, and I am a marketing representative for The Oberweis Funds*.

I am glad to see you are discussing The Oberweis International Opportunities Fund (OBIOX). Securities regulations prohibit me from participating in online discussions such as this one, but I would be delighted to speak to any of you personally if you contact me on my business phone or through my business email.

John P. Collins, CIMA®
    National Key Accounts Director, The Oberweis Funds, Inc.
    Direct: (630) 577-2364 | Email: [email protected]

*Securities Offered Through Oberweis Securities, Inc., Member FINRA/SIPC