Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Warning to XP Users on IE8 and recent Flash Drive updates

edited June 2011 in Off-Topic
This is for those of you who, like me, still cling to Windows XP and have experienced computer crashing when trying to access videos or some sites. I had previously tried Firefox, which I like, but that, as well as IE7 would frequently crash computer when accessing videos.

Today I upgraded IE7 to IE8 -and accepting latest Flash update, as well as updating all "critical security updates" for MS.... BIG MISTAKE! Computer crashed even when just accessing regular sites without trying to load videos.

I spent 4 hours getting software updates and searching for fixes - and found LOTS of others having same problems with IE8 and Flash. So I just wanted to warn those of you who were thinking about trying above upgrades to fix problems so you won't waste all the time I did and end up with more problems.

Comments

• Hi Cathy,

These magic boxes we all use have their own natures, eh???
    Still using a Dell laptop that is 8 years old this month.

XP-SP2, IE8, only 1.25GB of ram. All of the updates are in place, including Flash and no issues, other than I know a newer pc would run faster with apps and most web sites. XP-SP3 would never properly load on this pc and so just let it be as is. The laptop does what we need.

A new laptop is in process before year end; at least if nothing else needs the money before then. Have been accumulating monies from the offload of my personal items that I have collected over the years and now offing via EBAY. Time for a new home for these pieces.

Do you live too close to Mt. Shasta or some of the other reported "universal space portals" located in CA? Planetary lines of flux or other electronic forces may be located where you live.....:):):)

On the serious side....I do know these events with pc's are very frustrating and may cause even the most refined person to want to curse and throw things.

Wish I could offer a solution.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Thanks, Catch.... maybe no solution, but did give me a nice chuckle....which I really need right now. I have SP3 with lots more ram, so perhaps my sp is part of the problem. Hope your computer holds up before you can get new one. I hate to tell you this, but even though you do need to get new computer, the new MS operating systems are a real nightmare, especially for people that have earlier programs that won't work in new O/S. But, what can we do..... Would recommend that you definitely get nice inexpensive 500GB+ external usb hard drive to back up all your important data for now - price has zoomed down for these and I really like my super-fast My Passport external drives. Very small that you can put in pocket and take computer with you.
  • edited June 2011
    I have several Windows XP SP3 computers at home using IE8 and they are slow but they do not crash. All I can say at this moment, the root cause of the problems you are experiencing is not IE or Windows XP. I bet it is something wrong with your graphics card driver or graphics card itself.
  • Thanks, Investor! I agree, especially since I forgot to REDO UNCHECK at Flash "enable hardware acceleration" after I upgraded. So I went back and redid uncheck - sure enough, videos that crashed before playing just fine (so far). So I think your opinion of graphics card possibly being problem is correct. Tech guy I pay to help when I give up trying did say that the graphics card Dell defaulted install does have compatability problems - so I think I'll just have him install new one with corresponding driver. You seem to know a lot about computers, as well as mutual funds, so if you have any suggestions for good quality, reliable video card, please let me know. Thanks again!
  • I like NVidia cards (to be more specific an graphics card with Nvidia chip). There are many manufacturers building cards using NVidia chips. The card you will get depends on the available slots (AGP, PCI Express, etc). An entry level card manufactured in the past couple of years has a powerful enough chip to play videos well.

However, it is likely that Dell have installed a version of Nvidia card on the computer. Before shopping for a new card, you should get your tech guy to download and install latest driver available for your computer http://support.dell.com. It is easy to locate the released drivers for your model using Dell Service Tag (should be on a sticker on your computer) or using model.

If the driver still does not work, that does not mean the end of road. The problem with Dell and other manufacturers they stop updating the drivers for older models after a couple of years. You need to get the most recent driver from Nvidia site. Your Tech guy should be identify the chip type on the card and get the appropriate released and Microsoft certified driver at:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Updating the Nvidia drivers is very easy. You run a setup program and answer a few prompts.

I would only get a new graphics card if the driver update route does not result in resolution. It could be that your card has developed a problem.

Another alternate graphics card manufacturer is ATI (A division of AMD). I had more driver install problems with ATI cards in the past. But once installed properly they run very well as well.