Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Longest Day

MJG
edited June 2013 in Off-Topic
Hi Guys,

In our household, we don’t fly our Flag everyday, only on special occasions, It flies today to honor The Longest Day.

As you all remember, June 6, 1944 was D-Day, the date that Operation Overlord, the invasion of the Normandy beaches, was implemented after a weather delay.

Our family lost my Uncle Mike a few days later. He was not among the American troops who initially stormed the Omaha and Utah beaches, but joined the battle as an infantry replacement during the engagements that forced the breakout into the Normandy peninsula. I still picture him in his tan khaki uniform before his departure.

It is hard to imagine the courage, tenacity, and resiliency our troopers demonstrated in the initial hours of the battle, especially at Omaha beach. Indeed it was a frantic time, with the success of the mission uncertain and our brave soldiers just barely surviving. History hung in the balance.

My wife and I have visited the Normandy military gravesites several times, and tears of appreciation always flow in our eyes. The simple headpieces register their name, rank, death date, and State. We humbly thank those who sacrificed their young lives on that historic day, and their few surviving band of brothers today.

We celebrate their grand accomplishments by watching both the docudrama “The Longest Day” and “Saving Private Ryan” each year. Both these films capture the desperation and the scope of the events. It is a record of our Nation’s resolve which was firmly grounded by our predecessors. We are blessed with a loyal long grey line. Let’s continue that faith and let us never forget those who made it happen.

I recommend you consider viewing these fine films.

Best Regards.

Comments