Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Links by tickers - fund share class

msf
edited June 2013 in Technical Questions
I noticed that GLBRX pops up as "James Advantage Funds, James Balanced Golden Rainbow Cl A" (class A); these are "retail class" shares, according to the summary prospectus. What's the source of the "A" class info?

(It's also missing the colon between Balanced and Golden Rainbow - the fund family certainly created quite a mouthful.)

FWIW, M* truncates "Retail Class" to R (which is typically used to designate "retirement plan" shares). Even James Advantage can't get it right - on their "more info" page for the fund, they call these "Investor Shares". Not to worry, it looks like all their filings say "Retail Class".

Comments

• edited June 2013
    @msf said.
    >I noticed that GLBRX pops up as "James Advantage Funds, James Balanced Golden Rainbow Cl A" (class A); these are "retail class" shares, according to the summary prospectus. What's the source of the "A" class info?

my guess you meant GLRBX.

Also - it could be how they originally filed the name of the fund with the sec (just a guess).

everybody makes mistakes and typos. I guess thats why pople refer to the ticker and the prospectus for additional details on expenses, etc. I can't underderstand why its called golden rainbow, when must rainbows are multicolored.
  • Thanks for the response. I guess I was asking how this site (mutualfundobserver.com) resolves the ticker symbols.

My typo (thanks for catching that) is just one reason why I feel it's better if people say what fund they're talking about. As to the name, it could be a compression of the "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" - the fund name was already too long:-)
  • edited June 2013
    > I guess I was asking how this site (mutualfundobserver.com) resolves the ticker symbols.

from an internal database that is a melange of several sources (sources withheld) for etfs, cefs, and mutual funds.

>I feel it's better if people say what fund they're talking about

on the other hand if the poster verifies ticker after posting to see if its highlighted and represents the fund they are talking about, it reduces errors on the other viewer's end and saves on typing and clicking and you can just use the mouse to hover or click on the fund ticker. I guess its all a matter of opinion. When people just enter names, they often don't enter the share class, at least from what I've seen.