Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

bruce funds

edited June 2011 in Fund Discussions
Has anyone on this panel held or holds Bruce funds brufx? It looks like a good fund with a good long term record. I understand it can only be bought directly from the family.

Comments

• I hold the BRUFX in a taxable acct. While I don't have many shares (since the cost was around $250 per share when I bought it) the year end distributions are not bad provided you do not own many shares. The BRUFX would be better held in a non-taxable acct. You are correct in that the fund is bought directly rather than in a supermarket brokerage type account
  • I bought a small amount of the Bruce Fund this year. The amount represents less than 2% of my entire portfolio. I was looking for additional small cap exposure as well as the moderate allocation features. I got both in one fund. I like the small AUM, and reasonable expenses as well as the über long successful manager tenure. I buy all my funds directly, so that was no problem.

If the parameters of the fund agree with your investment needs, this fund is for you.

Dave
  • I looked at this fund. The problems that I have with it are:
    1. Cannot make telephone purchases after initial buy.
    2. Cannot make telephone redemptions. Must be in writing.

I do not want to be in funds where everything is always done by mail. I like ACH transfer.
  • I would like to buy this fund but the convenience of buying from one place trumps buying directly.
    Burt
  • I own this fund and yes, it is a pain dealing with direct purchases. However, it has a great long term record.