Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ping Max: Pfizer stock

edited June 2011 in Off-Topic
Hi Max. I saw this article this morning about Pfizer stock going up with the rest of the Dow going down in pre-trading. I remembered your post on recieving PFE through an inheritance.

Your view of the stock seemed negative, but it really has done well in the past year. Probably in line with the health care sector in general. In comparing it to other big health care names like Merk and Johnson & Johnson, PFE has done much better over the last year. Here is what some of the rating institutions say:

Credit Suisse: outperform
The Street: buy
Standard&Poors: 4 out of 5 stars
Ford Equity Research: strong buy
Market Edge: neutral
Jaywalk Consensus: hold

I don't have experieince with stock picking, so I'm not trying to sway you on what to do. The info above is just what I get through my TD Ameritarde account. Just thought I'd give you some added perspective. I know Pfizer had a rough patch for a while when the health care bill was passed and also with their big seller Lipitor's patents expiring (allowing generics to be made).

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-stock-futures-weaker-on-growth-worries-2011-06-23?dist=beforebell

Comments

• You're a gentleman and a scholar. I appreciate the "ping." There's nothing forcing me to sell my PFE anytime soon, so I could hold it and let it ride up---hopefully---according to those opinions and ratings you specified.

I'm sure some of the contributors here at MFO would tell me that I'm shooting myself in the foot about this: I am loathe to invest in healthcare and drug stocks (or funds holding considerable healthcare stuff) because taking PROFIT from healthcare feels like exploitation to me. Using "socially responsible" funds is a joke, because there are different filters on each of them, and some of those filters are pretty useless, allowing for almost anything except gambling, tobacco or liquor. So I'm always losing arguments with myself about this sort of thing. But THANKS for giving me the benefit of that new information. It's new for ME, anyway.