Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Rule of 8?

edited July 2013 in Off-Topic
About 15 years ago, some radio guru of the time mentioned what he called the "Rule of 8" - An Investor's holdings should double in value every 8 years. Wondering if anyone else's come across that? A Google search came up empty - except for the Rule of 72 (linked). It shows that at 9% compounded, an investment doubles about every 8 years. 15 years ago that was probably reasonable. Today's lower interest rates make me wonder. Maybe still reasonable for a 30-40 year old? But, what's considered a reasonable return on investment at age 60 or 70 - with shorter time horizons? Related: BobC mentions growth in frontier markets. I agree. But - yikes, probably not area 70 year olds should play in - unless they have some special expertise.

Rule of 72 explained: http://www.directinvesting.com/drip_learning_center/rule_of_72.cfm?from=kids

Comments

• When I had hair, it used to be Rule of 5. 2000 and 2007 paid put to that rule as well as my hair.

15% / year = Rule of 5. In retrospect impractical. Rule of 8 more realistic. I like.

HOWEVER, I do have a different rule of 5. After I buy a fund, 5 years later if it has not given me positive return, I sell. And this is REGARDLESS of how its peers or indexes performed. I don't care who you are / what you are investing in. After 5 years you cannot match the return of cash, there is no excuse.
  • You are a patient individual.
    If upward movement after 3 years is not evident, can't see why waiting 2 more years is useful. Does anyone have reference to support the extra 2 years?